Author Topic: Chain mail shirt  (Read 6464 times)

Offline missilemaster

Re: Chain mail shirt
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 10:24:52 pm »
Appreciate it fellas. I couldent begin to guess how many hours I have in it. Supposing it takes a minute to coil, cu, open, weave and close each link, thats over 9000 minutes, or 150+ hours.  :o
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 10:34:46 pm »
You get mega points for sheer coolness!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 03:58:26 am »
It would prob' stop a bullet better than a bodkin not that I'm suggesting you try.
I admire your tenacity and workmanship :).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 09:05:39 am »
Very cool!  I made one many years back and like JW I shot arrows at it.  Went right though.  It takes about 6 to 8 layers of un-riveted links to stop a field-point-tipped arrow from a 60lb bow at 10 yards.  A long, narrow, bodkin tip doesn't even need to open a link to reach the heart.

Don't feel bad, though.  That's not what those shirts were made for.  They were made for hand-to-hand fighting with blades.  :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:12:22 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mhof86

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:00 am »
That's great work. I just dug mine out last night. Turns out it shrunk or I got fat over the years lol. It's really tight on me now but full length sleeves down to waist with leggings from mid thigh to boot. I went with 3/8" rings but wanna say 14-16ga wire. Not sure to be honest.

Great job on the tailoring as well. It's not as easy as one would think. Try the 6 in 1 stuff like someone else posted lol I was gonna do all the edges trimmed in it but it turned out to be a bracelet as that's all I could take lol.

Again really nice job!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 12:32:29 pm »
Wow!  Cody, that is excellent.  You never cease to amaze us with your "bucket list."
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 09:09:36 pm »
That's great work. I just dug mine out last night. Turns out it shrunk or I got fat over the years lol. It's really tight on me now but full length sleeves down to waist with leggings from mid thigh to boot. I went with 3/8" rings but wanna say 14-16ga wire. Not sure to be honest.

Great job on the tailoring as well. It's not as easy as one would think. Try the 6 in 1 stuff like someone else posted lol I was gonna do all the edges trimmed in it but it turned out to be a bracelet as that's all I could take lol.

Again really nice job!

Seriously, it had to have shrunk!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.