Author Topic: "Whisper" - a success story (a lot of pics)  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: "Whisper" - a success story (a lot of pics)
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 02:31:26 pm »
Really nice job on the tiller. I'm glad the siyahs worked out for you. It looks like from your tiller you have it figured out. Its nice when you can have some sucess and build your confidence to try for more. Look forward to seeing some more of your work in the future.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 02:39:01 pm »
Well done on trying something new and it working :)
Pat is right about the grain on the tips though. They are very weak like this, hopefully they hold but be careful to never drop it on them! An easy way to get suitable wood is to look for where a biggish branch comes off a trunk or just look for a piece with an appropriate curve to it. Split them in half and square up. You can of course tweak the shape with a little steam with no risk of breakage/splinters lifting etc.

...or alternately, one might split these same siyahs down the middle and laminate in a thin bit of bone or hardwood with an opposite grain pattern down the middle. 

Great job taking this bow thru to completion.  I have one like it that I've sort of given up on but keep meaning to get back to someday!  My glue lines were not perfect in the splice so I have re-work to do on them.

OneBow

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 02:51:46 pm »
 The option of cutting down the center is feasible but you'd have to be very careful to not split the sides right off while fitting the insert.

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 03:11:54 pm »
Clamp it at the bottom of the cut and fit the bone or whatever in just like a footed shaft
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 03:39:13 pm »
Thanks for the advice!  Definitely got some things to think about for the next one.

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 03:43:03 pm »
Clamp it at the bottom of the cut and fit the bone or whatever in just like a footed shaft
But a footed shaft has linear grain,