Author Topic: thinking about getting my conceal carry licence.  (Read 7901 times)

Offline sleek

thinking about getting my conceal carry licence.
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:39:35 pm »
I need to be sure that if I choose to carry it is first safe and effective.  That means I need it to conceal well, take minimum time from draw to fire, but no chance of a hung hammer or accidental firing when being drawn. Id like stopping power but not very high calibre. 

I work in an area where I will be carrying and already spoke to my boss about it. But he is the only one who needs to see or know so it needs to leave no print or show. It also needs to be comfy as I bend and kneel and lean allot.

So best firearm and carry system yall would advise?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: thinking about getting my conceal carry licence.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:40:52 pm »
I don't carry but a glock 19 is one of the most popular carry weapons.  A friend of mine carries one and I never notice when he's carrying
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 04:43:29 pm »
What part of his body does he carry?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 05:23:13 pm »
Look into an air weight, 38, with a shrouded hammer.  They are light weight, effective when using hollow points and with the hammer being concealed they are easy to carry.

Or, what I carried when I worked was a Walther PPKS, 380. Small and will even fit in the back pocket of your jeans if need be.

I am not much of a pistol person so I would look into the revolver.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 05:30:47 pm »
I have a small Smith and Wesson spurless hammer revolver and a Glock sub compact. I typically don't carry because they are too hard to conceal. I would recommend a Ruger LCP. It will be much easier to conceal.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 03:39:00 am »
I carry daily (have for a few years now). Depending on the "Gun of the day" ( ;)) choise, it's either a Wilson Combat 1911 in .45acp/Springfield XD 9mm or S&W .45acp revolver. Pray to God I never have to use it, but Damn sure will if I must ! It's a CRAZY world out there these days. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 07:33:03 am »
I carry a ruger lc9, the bigger 9mm version of the lcp.  I love it.  Conceals very well and has stopping power when paired with some good critical defense ammo. It has a 1911 style thumb safety which is nice because I can carry one in the chamber safely. Plus 9mm ammo is not as difficult to find compared to others.  I also have a walther pk380 which is a great gun also, it just doesn't conceal as well.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:32 am »
ruger lcp 380 - no one can tell if I'm carrying even when wearing khakis and a dress shirt.
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline mhof86

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 09:39:20 am »
Get whats comfortable to shoot and something you can shoot accurately and consistently. Try to find a range around your house that rents different guns so you can try before you buy. Then once you decide on what you want get plenty of range time. Once you are comfortable with the gun in all of its functions and are confident in your ability then go take the class.

I see people who show up for the class never having shot a gun and can barely keep it on a silhouette from 15'. That is terrifying to me to think that with the wrong instructor that these guys n gals will get their permit and carry, not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

The "carry" guns are not your full size easy point and shoot guns. Most have a much heavier trigger pull, a minimal sight picture, and are really snappy because of the light weight. Find something you can shoot well and feel safe with.

All that being said a single stack 9mm or .380 if you want semi auto... Ruger LCP/LC9, anything from Kahr Arms, Smith and Wesson bodyguard/Shield, the Sig Sauer P238s are a good place to start.

Revolvers take a look at the Ruger LCR or Smith and Wesson 642.

Holsters and carry style I would recommend a good inside the waistband holster. With the really small type guns (LCP and the like) you can carry in the pocket but I would still recommend a holster even if its in your pocket. Makes drawing more consistent and safe.

Most of all practice practice practice. Dry fire drills are really helpful in becoming familiar without spending a small fortune at the range. Practice drawing and acquiring your sight picture, pick up some snap caps and work on trigger pull, work on re-holstering (just as dangerous as drawing your gun).

Another thing to consider is that carry laws are different from state to state. Some states will honor your carry license while others will not. Just make sure if you do any traveling that you check the state laws that you are going through and visiting.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 10:12:24 am »
I have had one for years and carry daily, I have carried everything from  S&W 38 Special to  a .380 I now carry a NA arms 22 mag with hollow points/5 shot. Can't hit much at any distance but after years of carrying I figure all I need is a [ GET OFF OF ME GUN] and this will do that, Very small and no one knows I have a gun unless they know me or I tell them. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline StevenT

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 10:18:10 am »
The wife and I just applied for my concealed carry permit and waiting for them to arrive in the mail. I purchased a Bersa Thunder CC 380 and have been taking it to the shooting range. I thinking the wife will probably carry it. I am looking at a Springfield XDS or XDM 9MM for myself. I have not decided how I am going to carry yet, but leaning toward a inside the waistband holster. I have been watching a lot of videos on YouTude to help understand the different ways to carry. Also been watching a lot of videos on the different guns. A lot of people like the Glocks, but to me they just look a little to boxy. I personally like the slimmer looks of the Springfied or Smith & Wesson designed for concealed carry. But when you get right down to it, it all comes down to personal preference for both weapon choice and type of carry. You might want to take into account the cost of ammo. 380 is harder to get and cost more than 9MM and that is another reason I am looking at 9MM.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 10:37:41 am »
All I can say is do it buddy! My new conceal gun is a walther ppq in a m2 frame. It has a 1911 style clip release. This particular one is a 9mm. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 12:18:57 pm »
Wife and I just applied for our CWP. she is getting a ruge lc380 and I got a lc9s. the lc380is the same size as the lc9s just 380caliber instead of 9mm. the little 380s are great you can just put them in your front pocket, they even make those holsters that look just like a wallet so nobody knows what you are carrying. if concealling is a big deal you should google the Taurus "curve" kinda crazy idea that one wonders why it wasn't tried before. (maybe it has). whatever you decide on just get the one you are comfortable with not somebody else.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline StevenT

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 02:35:47 pm »
Eric, just watched a bunch of reviews of the Taurus Curve. That is one interesting looking gun. Thanks for the tip.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 09:59:21 pm »
If I have to carry, I am allowed to Open Carry here in South Dakota.  And for that, I have a Taurus 1911, .45 ACP.  The self defense hollow points are so hollowed out, the business end makes 'em look like wastepaper baskets!

I carry in a Blackhawk paddle type holster that requires me to press a button on the side of the holster to release the pistol.  And as I draw, the finger is automatically registered "safe" along the slide.  I spent the better part of two and half hours at the Cabelas store in Mitchell SD talking with various employees and trying out different holsters.  A former Marine and a former Army grunt both agreed that the Blackhawk was a good and safe type holster and they showed me all the different ways to set up the holster for different carry options.  The one guy even had me try to pull his sidearm from his personal Blackhawk holster...and even knowing how the catch worked, I simply could not get his gun away from him while he made no effort at all to prevent me from drawing it!

When carrying a backpack in the woods, as I often do, I convert from a paddle holster to a crossdraw on the left shoulderstrap.  Despite thousands of hours in the woods where we have a very healthy population of mountain lions, I have never seen one. Ever. But if I should ever have to scare the litterbox decorations from a cat, I can do that, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.