Author Topic: hog hide tanning?  (Read 3754 times)

Offline paulc

hog hide tanning?
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:46 pm »
So I got a 180 lb hog with a rifle this fall with nice tiger stripes kinda through the hair with bands of black, grey, white, brown.  I thought it was cool and held on to it till this weekend when I tried to flesh it out...After almost an hour of sawing, hacking, scraping, and cussing I had barely 20% of the hide cleaned.  There was so much fat that it really could not be scraped off like a deer hide.  For next year, how in the world do I get all the fat off without spending all day doing it?  Or is that really how long I need to expect to spend fleshing a hog hide?  I have tanned deer in the past and not spent anywhere near this kind of time prepping the hide.

Thanks, Paul

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: hog hide tanning?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:37:30 pm »
Wish I knew. I can prolly get a ton of hog hides if I wanted them.  I've thought seriously about getting a fleshing machine but not really something I want to spend time on.  Got plenty else to work on...
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:55:31 pm »
Shoot young ones that aren't eating at feeders.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:55:31 pm »
You may want to give a try with a pressure washer, I have heard a lot of people state that it only takes about 20 minutes to do a deer hide using one. Probably save your hands and wrists a lot of wear and tear if it works.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:01:37 pm »
Find a tannery, ship it to them and let the machines do the work.  might cost 50-100$ .  If you want a flesher like the one above, then you could he the small hand held one from McKenzy Taxidermy supply.  It is air powered and a lot less money.  I work at a Taxidermist in summer,  try doing a bucking bull.