Author Topic: Arrow length related to bow and draw length  (Read 22630 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Arrow length related to bow and draw length
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:45:21 am »
Is there any correlation to as what the total arrow length shaft (valley of the nock to where the field point starts)should be in relation to bow length and draw length for a bow that shoots off the handle?
I am have a 23 inch draw to pivot and shoot off the hand and am wondering what length of arrows to use for bows between 50 and 60 inches long, say average of 55 inches long.

Suggestions, experiences and reasons??

Offline aaron

Re: Arrow length related to bow and draw length
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:14:51 pm »
In one sense it really doesnt matter, as long as the arrows fly well. Some people have arrows only an inch longer than their draw, others go a few inches. Longer arrows make it easier to aim with the arrow tip.longer arrows are heavier. Shorter arrows are easier to carry, and its easier to find short shafts. Changing arrow length will also change dynamic stiffness, which greatly affects arrow flight.  Self bows tend to need arrows that are not too stiff especially at shorter draw lengths,  so, longer arrows would help achieve this . This stiffness is also affected by point weight, arrow spine, and other factors.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:58:48 pm »
I shoot 30" arrows for my 26" draw. I like longer arrows for the extra weight plus I think a longer arrow gets around the bow better.
 If you are buying shafts remember shafts are sold in spine groups. The spine value is for a 28" arrow with a 125gr point. For each inch under 28" add 5# of spine weight(reverse for over 28") and for weights over 125gr point subtract 5# per 25grs.(reverse for under 125gr.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:14:04 pm »
 The bows lenth has nothing to do with arrow lenth.

Your arrow lenth has to be AT LEAST your draw lenth. Your arrow lenth can only be longer not shorter than your draw lrenth.

As for arrow lenth you have  to deside that arrow lenth through pratice  For me I like to make 28 inch. It takes a lot to build arrow I only shoot 26"s so If I do break the arrow likely. It'll be the tip so I can add another tip.

I'm not one of those people that try to watch every grain so I can shoot a few yards father. Matter fact I hav'nt weighted a tip or arrow in 15 years. 2years ago I gave a friend 4 or 5 tips made 1/8" he emailed me back and said do you know how much your tips way. I said no why ,there 280  grain.

I said I've shot through the last 5 or 6 bucks at 10 yards. So whats the problem.

He's still stuck in the compound,rifle set up stag. Where you can set up to see a lot of land. They think this will still work hunting with selfbows. That set up will kill you very few mature bucks. or even get you a shot or two.

If the arrow matchs the bow. I'm on after a couple shots.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline webrx

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:14:20 am »
I am no expert, and not really giving advice, but, I will say I have noticed through observation on my selfbows where my wooden arrows are more than 2" too long they don't fly consistently for me.

They tend to group left with nock left out of my longbow selfbow (no arrow shelf and around 30# draw weight).  This would indicate that the arrow is too stiff from what I have read but if I take that same arrow and cut it off so it is only an inch longer than my draw, which should make them stiffer, they fly straighter and don't kick the nock left. 

I think this may be because there is too much length for such a low pound bow, causing the arrow to wiggle (paradox?) too much.  But as I said I am no expert and this is just a guess.

So, I cut my wooden arrows for this bow to be only 1" longer than my draw length and they work much better and fly much straighter and more consistent.

Dave
Experience - that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 01:33:05 pm »
If you determine the proper spine for the longer arrows they should fly as well as properly spined arrows cut to 1" past draw length, even with lower weight bows...at least in my experience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 09:35:36 pm »
webrx; are you right or left handed, your shooting sounds backwards for a righty. What spine weight are your arrows.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 10:30:28 pm »
So does it really matter if you have 2-3 inches sticking out from the riser..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 11:08:14 pm »
Have you seen pics of tropical Natives and their fishing arrows? They are as long as their bows and the bows are pretty long?
 As long as the arrow is properly spined for your bow and your shooting style for its length it should shoot fine. I'm not saying to shoot 6' long arrows but 3" or 4" beyond the bow at full draw won't hurt a thing...and a longer arrow is more flexible than a shorter arrow.

Offline webrx

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 07:46:45 pm »
I am right handed and the longer wooden arrows I have hit to the left of aim with the nock kicking left.  Hitting left I thought indicates too stiff, nock left would indicate too weak.  Shorten the arrow to about 1 in longer than draw and it comes right in flies to aim and does not kick nock left. 

Now, as I said I am a beginner and the indications above are mixed from what I have read so it may be that shortening the arrow stiffened it enough to fix the weak part and the strong indication (point left) was just my bad release or form. 

I only commented because I  do seem to be more consistent (with all my other shooting flaws) with wooden arrows only an inch or so long vice arrows that are 3 or 4 inches long.  Aluminum and carbon I don't seem to have the same concern, but those bows are generally cut to center and more forgiving of spine.

I'm still learning and seem to be getting a little better at spining now that I have a variety of arrows and the ability to change point weight on most of my arrows. But I still struggle with my longbow (no shelf) and shooting long wooden arrows.  FYI I have tried spines from 25 to 35 on my 30# longbow, and as I said, it may be release or form causing part of my issue.

PS, sorry didnt mean to hijack this thread and as it works out, a person I know who is a long time traditional shooter just commented to me that the nock left was the primary indication and that meant weak arrow.  cutting off a couple inches stiffened the arrow up.  The point left he thought must have been something else if shortening the arrow brought things in line and on target.

d
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:52:35 pm by webrx »

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 08:30:30 pm »
I'm with PatB. 26" draw, 30" arrows.  I find a longer shaft to be a bit more forgiving.  But I have bareshaft tuned those shafts to find the best spine for my bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 08:31:50 pm »
webrx, how long are the arrows and what spine value did the raw shafts have?

Offline webrx

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 08:44:47 pm »
30 in arrows, supposedly spined for a 30 to 35 lb bow being shot out of a 30 #28 lb bow - probably 27 with my draw length of 27.

These were the first wooden arrows with feather flights I purchased (off the rack) for my first bow I built - selfbow. 

They shoot ok from the first bow (cut in shelf) but had the flight I described from a 30 lb longbow - no cut in shelf.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 09:26:20 pm »
30to35 doesn't mean bow weight, it is arrow spine or stiffness, real confusing. Self bow, no shelf means more bending of the arrow, unless you do a real narrow handle.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 11:41:55 pm »
A 30" arrow spined 30#-35# will shoot like a 20#-25#arrow(5# for each inch over 28"). Try cutting those arrows down to 29" and shoot them. If still no good, cut to 28". When you buy shafts the spine value is spined for a 28" arrow. If left the full 30" they shoot like a lighter spined arrow.