Author Topic: Inuit Bone and sinew cable bows..A great watch.  (Read 13133 times)

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Re: Inuit Bone and sinew cable bows..A great watch.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 06:14:41 pm »
I'm watching it entirely, and now i hear at 6:28 "avec du bois d'épave et des os".
Meaning from shipwreck wood (kayak?) and bone.
At 8:01he speaks about making a bow with caribou antlers and bone, or bone and wood ("bois ordinaire")
His father's bow was made entirely of caribou antler and dito sinew (nerf de carinou).
Its a pity nothing was said about the sinew cable.
Did you mark the mediterranean two or three finger draw?
Also his tillering prior to cabling is noteworthy!

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 08:11:14 pm »
 The materials they used are fairly well documented but the actual assembly is what is unique. How do you say driftwood in French?
 An actual shipwreck would certainly provide good bow wood but that wouldn't have been a reliable source.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:11 pm »
This video of the movement of the ice pack up there shows how driftwood would be constantly pulled into that area and deposited in a circular fashion.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=video+showing+ice+pack+variation+through+the+years&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=88FFF7051CF0CCC3BCA188FFF7051CF0CCC3BCA1

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 02:06:56 am »
Driftwood is bois flotté, but i think you're right that its most likely made with driftwood, which seems to be used as a synonym here. Makedo with what's at hand