Author Topic: Floor Tillering  (Read 17751 times)

Offline missilemaster

Re: Floor Tillering
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 10:31:41 am »
Thanks guys. I have trouble seeing the bend when floor tillering. I use a bow length string and don't flex it on the tree more than the draw weight. I just thought there might be some other reason for floor tillering. Happy now :D :D

Forgot to say that what I do a lot is put it in a vise and bend it so I can look at the bend from several angles. It really helps.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline bow101

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 12:35:16 pm »
I tiller while the bow is strung once i get to low brace, i don't unstring and restring
handy info right there... i didn't know that could be done...

It works for me to.  Unbracing and re-bracing is a pain...... >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 07:22:32 pm »
no harm is done putting the bow on the tree with the long string early,, if you are gently bending it,, you are just trying to get it to bend even so when you do string it,, the stress is even on the stave,,

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 08:07:47 pm »
DC in reading TBB-#1 John Strunk explains about making Yew longbows, where he talks bout exactly that. He said he likes floor tillering to start as it helps the wood to "learn" to bend

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 09:04:16 am »
If your having trouble seeing and feeling the the distribution of the bend while floor tillering you can always view it in front of a full length mirror. Thats how I started and it helped me to get a feel for it and now I rarely go to the tiller tree for long or short string tillering. Once I get to low brace I'll tiller by watching thickness taper and hand drawing in front of a mirror. Like what was said before choose the method your comfortable with as long as you don't over stress the bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 10:10:29 am »
Well, not to be a wiseacre because 99% of the people on here build better and prettier bows than I'll ever build. I'm an amateur who is still working on crafting "thee" bow.

Can someone please explain how going from floor tiller to low bracing is a low stress, low set way to tiller? PD or anyone? Keep in mind that to me a stave with 3" of reflex that turns out even has 3" of set.

I would think that going from floor tiller to long string tillering to low brace is low stress, provided the bowyer aims for a good bending of the limbs and a stave weight no more than 15# over final target weight.

I think long string tillering has a place in a bowyers tool bag, at least it does in mine.

Let's have a rational, logical discussion. :)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 10:37:06 am »
Jawge, I'm with you.  I do use the long string.  Often it's just long enough to make sure the limbs are bending evenly enough to go to low brace safely.  I am however really reluctant to suggest that this way is the best way.  It's the way I do it.  It's the way I show newbies how to do it as well.  My bows as a rule fair very well in taking little set.  It's something I shoot for.  But the guy who showed me the ropes has never used a long string, ever.  His bows are tillered every bit as well, if not better than mine.  Lot's of ways to get there, and I have only a handful of answers to the many questions out there. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 10:53:25 am »
Slimbob, I agree. There is more than one way to bring a bow to tiller.
Better bowyers than I'll ever be don't use the long string.
I just want a rational as to why not using the long string is better.
Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2015, 11:03:08 am »
I know some have said that the long string gives a false reading because of the string angle, but that doesn't float with me as I am not using it for anything other than getting a bow to brace.  String angle matters little at that point.  Good question and I too am interested in the answers that folks give.

Might get more responses with a new post.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2015, 11:08:41 am »
Yes, gets a bow to brace at a proper weight if weight is monitored. Length of long string not an issue with me either.
I am interested too.
Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline bubby

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 12:16:05 pm »
To answer your original post, yes it accomplishes something, as far as putting it on the tree early it's pretty safe unless ya overstress it, without floor tillering you aren't going to get much flex on the long string imo
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 12:20:14 pm »
I tiller while the bow is strung once i get to low brace, i don't unstring and restring

Of course this is accomplished only after floor tiller the statement above was answering a reply about leaving the bow strung while tillering

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2015, 01:06:10 pm »
For long string guys: When you long string tiller on a tree. How do you decide where to remove wood? Do you quickly flex it, spy it, mentally mark it and remove wood and repeat. Or, do you pull it to X distance, lock it down, run a gizmo or straight edge up and down a few times, then mark it, then remove wood?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 01:13:21 pm »
I do it the first way, quick look and then remove a little wood. I would almost say that I use the long string to "floor tiller" on the tree. As soon as it's bending enough I low brace it. All without going over the draw weight, of course.

Offline PatM

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2015, 01:16:32 pm »
It's all just variations of the same thing. Floor tillering is mainly about checking to see if the stave is flexing enough to bend with a string on it.
 It's not doing something for the stave that isn't going to get done anyway.