Author Topic: A Wierd Thing...  (Read 6676 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: A Wierd Thing...
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 03:59:24 pm »
Best way i know is to draw an arrow on a bow youre really comfortable with to your anchor and have somebody mark where the arrow crosses the back of the bow.
If you have no friends to do this, take a big elastic and wrap in around the arrow,  put the elastic 28" to start.  Draw and hit anchor, if the elastic bumps the back of the bow before you hit anchor, move it further, if the elastic doesnt, move it in and repeat. Then, when the elastic is hitting the back of the bow right when you hit anchor, youve got your draw length. Thats the method I use. I found my draw was considerably shorter that i thought.  26" for a thick handle and 25" for a bendy.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 04:20:49 pm »
I tillered my first bow to 28". Come to find out my draw with a selfbow is 26". Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline dbb

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 08:42:31 pm »
I use a cedarshaft with a nock mounted and marked every inch from 25 to 32 with black and red marker, red rings for even and black for odd inches with a green ring at 28".
Really easy to see in a mirror at a slight angle.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 08:50:14 pm »
Best way i know is to draw an arrow on a bow youre really comfortable with to your anchor and have somebody mark where the arrow crosses the back of the bow.
If you have no friends to do this, take a big elastic and wrap in around the arrow,  put the elastic 28" to start.  Draw and hit anchor, if the elastic bumps the back of the bow before you hit anchor, move it further, if the elastic doesnt, move it in and repeat. Then, when the elastic is hitting the back of the bow right when you hit anchor, youve got your draw length. Thats the method I use. I found my draw was considerably shorter that i thought.  26" for a thick handle and 25" for a bendy.
+1   I do this but I use an "O" ring instead of an elastic.

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 09:00:43 pm »
Why would it being a selfbow make a difference to draw length?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 10:59:46 pm »
It was a recurve with a pistol grip, Pat, and I always measured to the back of the handle.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline arachnid

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 02:05:55 pm »
Well I measured again using the way bubbles suggested and it turns out I have a shorter draw then I thought! It's only 24.5"!!! I HAVE SHORT HANDS... :'(

At least that explain my bow's "weight loss".

Thanks for the help guys...

P.S
Is it so "bad" to have a short draw? Less stored energy?

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 04:19:30 pm »

Offline arachnid

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 05:08:25 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50869.0.html
Maybe you can pick up a little :D :D

Thanks a lot DC! I have been wondering about back tension and how do you do it.... ;D