Author Topic: plains style quiver ?  (Read 13936 times)

john

plains style quiver ?
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:09:49 pm »
i just received a whole steer hide that was tanned whith the fur on iwant to make a few things like a plains style quiver and side quiver wondering if i could use the fur side out any one have any sugestions or  plans or drawings

Offline kayakfisher

Re: plains style quiver ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:24:31 pm »
I am by no means an expert on the subject, I have made a few quivers though as far as patterns go in Jim Hamms book Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans he has a pattern thats pretty easy to follow its basically a rectangle shape one end is smaller than the other put a long enough strap so it rides about waist high he also states the plains Indians[OUR NATIVE AMERICAN BROTHERS] often made quivers from long horn hides this one is from elk hide and I know picture is bad maybe it will help give you idea

[attachment deleted by admin]
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:32:57 pm »
One end is ten inches wide the other end is twelve inches wide folded over the edges matched up and stitched sorry 9 1/2 instead of ten so when its folded on end will be 4 1/2 the other end will measure 6 inches it holds a dozen arrows the length is four inches shorter than arrow
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

john

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:14:36 pm »
kayakfisher thanks for the info i really appreciate it    john

mike-dy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 01:01:19 am »
Most cows I have seen have the hair on the outside so that shouldn't be a problem, Planning on doing a back quiver with goatskin hair on next. What sort of quiver are you looking at building? I found looking at pics then trial and error with card and paper templates was the only way to really get what I wanted.
Theres plenty of quiver pics on here and other forums  and websites on the net for inspiration.
Cheers,
      Mike

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 05:46:49 pm »
Remember which way the hide stretches and cut out your parts accordingly. Leather will stretch quite a bit across the hide and less lengthwise so cut straps along the length. The hide down the center of the back is the strongest and along the belly the softest. The center of each side is the most consistent. Also plan for the hair to lay front to back or top to bottom.         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cromm

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 05:52:39 pm »
Here are some of the ones I've made;

[attachment deleted by admin]
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 05:55:51 pm »
I like that Fallow Hide (?) Quiver........I am in the Process of tanning two Hides so I can make Me a Plains Quiver....always wanted one....but I am too Cheap to Buy one or Pay Somebody to do what I can do Myself!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Cromm

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 06:09:12 pm »
That's the one I am using at the mo.
Yeah why pay when you can do it yourself.
I've got two Reindeer skins that i want to turn into a bow case/bag and quiver.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 06:16:33 pm »
                        Cromm..can you email me the full file pictures of that Quiver?? So I can cheat and copy it??
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Cromm

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 12:25:20 pm »
El D, I am not sure how to do that,but i can find out all the sizes of the quiver and email those to you if that helps???
And give you some info of how and why i made it that way??
Let me know and i will get right on it......
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 09:43:27 pm »
El D, I am not sure how to do that,but i can find out all the sizes of the quiver and email those to you if that helps???
And give you some info of how and why i made it that way??
Let me know and i will get right on it......

no....what I meant was send me the picture not sized down for the Internet....maximum Megapixels!!!!! Now all of the Information would be cool too!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Cromm

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 07:20:35 am »
El D, Ok.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.