Author Topic: Wild cherry wood  (Read 7205 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Re: Wild cherry wood
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 05:56:20 pm »
P. serotina is the wild or black cherry most commonly referred to in the eastern US

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 06:04:12 pm »
  This is funny to me.  I live in the west so it might be different, but the biggest trouble chokecherry or any wild cherry has given me is that chokecherry  likes to twist.  Otherwise it has treateds me great, especially for kids' bows.    Black cherry, actually domestic black cherry or domestic gone feral?  Not so good.  Really soft.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 09:52:19 pm »
We have Bitter Cherry (Prunus emarginata) here on the West Coast. Do any of the PNW'ers know if it makes bows? Notice I didn't say good bows. I have a couple of pieces seasoning. They were clearing the lot next door and I got the faller to toss a piece over the fence. Probably the easiest wood I've gotten.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 07:59:23 am »
As little as my back likes to use a sledge hammer I am thinking whittling and fire wood. I have whittled walking sticks and spoons from piece before and yes the bug love it. They go after the piece in the wood pile. If I am just going to fire wood I can use my brother-in-law's hydrological splitter.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 12:13:24 pm »
I do recall that cherry does get a mention in one of the Bowyer's bible books. Still wondering if leaving sapwood as the back is a way to go..? ???