Author Topic: Livery Arrow record  (Read 22063 times)

Offline WillS

Livery Arrow record
« on: March 08, 2015, 02:13:41 pm »
For those interested, Joe Gibbs broke another world record today, sending a Livery arrow (Mary Rose replica, 63.5g) 306 yards from an Ian Coote bow.  The weather was diabolical with rain, wind and freezing cold (typically the day before was perfect!) but he still managed it, along with sending a Standard arrow 311 yards. 

Considering how bloody horrible the weather was today, he should be able to get even more out of it on a better day, so maybe in May there'll be an even bigger distance.

ceolith

Re: Livery Arrow record
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 02:28:14 pm »
Nice to hear that. Congratulation!  8)

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:57:18 pm »
Your bow that Mark was shooting was a work of art, Michael.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 05:59:27 pm »
  That is impressive regardless of bow weight! What was the previous record? o you know the approx bow weight?

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 06:21:35 pm »
Previous record was Joe's as well (nobody can touch him at the moment!) and was 292 yards.  He shot the same bow today, an Ian Coote 170lb Italian yew.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 06:58:53 pm »
  Thats was an exremely well made bow and well shot arrow. I had my doubts if I would ever see the 300 mark broken. I think it will take more weight to break his record, I love it when I see what I feel is an almost unbreakable record set. Someone will probably come along and break it though.

ceolith

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 07:04:02 pm »
...yes, probably with a lighter bow.  ;)

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:01:08 am »
306yds with an EWBS Livery arrow!!!! Holy cow  :o :o :o Maximum respect to Joe  ;)

John T.  :)
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:55:11 am »
He'll probably do better in May.  You coming to Black Cat John?

Offline brian

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 11:24:36 am »
 I must really take issue with WillS over this world record business,  I didnt  realise  that the EWBS  had the authority  to designate their shoots ,to qualify for world  record status .I haven't seen a list of adjudicators ie.weights and measures ,met. office, to check wind velocity  and direction ,a dendrologist to check bows to find out   whether is was wide grained english yew or close grained italian yew ,grown at 10,000 mts. ,last but not least a representative from the Guinness Book of Records to verify and record the result.
The above conditions must be met to qualify for entry in the above

Offline WillS

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 02:27:09 pm »
Take issue by all means.  I'm just posting it for anybody interested who's not on Facebook or came to the shoot.

I may be wrong but I don't think a record needs to be entered by Guinness to be a world record.  That just makes it a Guinness world record.  If nobody else has done it, it's a world record.  Feel free to correct me on that, however.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 03:38:42 pm »
  If people accept EWBS records then it is an EWBS record in accordance with their rules. It is a very worthy record!

Offline AndiE

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 03:55:59 pm »
Hi

You should call it a EWBS record only and not a world record, because thats what it really is and nobody would have any problems with that.

Kind regards
Andi
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:28:18 pm by AndiE »

ceolith

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:34 pm »
1. Fakt: they call it EWBS Record. Noone talks about a world-record... :o

2. Fakt: noone has reached more then 300yds with an EWBS Livery arrow before...

btw. why these discussion?!  ???

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 05:39:52 pm »
I called it a world record in the initial post, because as far as I'm concerned it is! 

As you said, NOBODY has done it before.  That means Joe is the first in the world.  That makes it a world record, regardless of the grain of the bow, the wind direction and the colour of his socks.

Some people find it inherently difficult to praise others for their achievements.  I was hoping to avoid this by saying "for those interested" but clearly it didn't work ;)