Author Topic: Livery Arrow record  (Read 22078 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Livery Arrow record
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 06:19:55 pm »
  You don't think it was done back in the day when heavy bows were the norm?

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 07:45:11 pm »
As you said, NOBODY has done it before.  That means Joe is the first in the world.  That makes it a world record, regardless of the grain of the bow, the wind direction and the colour of his socks.

LOL

Well done Joe!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 12:45:48 pm »
   Someone posted on another site that Simon Stanley shot a 101 gram arrow 302 yards! Does anyone know anything about this shot?

Offline WillS

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 02:04:59 pm »
Simons a big flatbow/recurve fan.  Wouldn't be surprised if he did it with something like a flatbow.  As far as I'm aware it's never been done with a self longbow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 02:32:15 pm »
  It was supposedly done with a self yew elb. It might have been done unofficially.

Offline brian

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 02:52:59 pm »
It cant be a world record,Will wasnt there at the time. ;) ;)

Offline Ian.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 03:02:09 pm »
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline WillS

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 04:24:16 pm »
  It was supposedly done with a self yew elb. It might have been done unofficially.

Very cool if it's genuine.  Its a testament to the modesty of guys like Simon and Joe when stuff like this happens and isn't recorded officially.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 05:47:01 pm »
Huge congratulations to Joe and Ian for the EWBS livery record.  Smashing 300 yards is a massive achievement. 
Regarding the other point, Simon shot the 340 yard distance at a I.L.A.A. FLIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP with a war arrow which seems to be linked to the Fraternity of St George around 2006.  It would have been with alongbow and ‘Military’ arrow which is 75g and 1/2" diameter. He must have accomplished something similar with the Mary Rose Trust whist testing with the late Roy King.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/technology-obituaries/6840541/Roy-King.html

It begs the question what ‘officially’ is.  FITA records are measured with a taught steel tape and a theodolite type thing to record to the inch and requires billiard table flat land.  I suspect this is more accurate/exacting than the EWBS' (and certainly Warbow Wales’, for that matter) methods.

I think the issue Brian has is the term ‘world record’ which would imply a hierarchy of whose records and arrows are most ‘official’ and whose others positively 'un-official'.  It could be read as a bit self-promoting.  Regardless, it is a truly brilliant accomplishment by all concerned.     

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 05:51:28 pm »
What's the status on the strings? Was Simon's shot perhaps made with modern string material?

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 06:13:46 pm »
Not really the point, but I doubt it.

Offline WillS

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 09:21:34 pm »
Just to clarify, nobody is officially claiming that its a "world" record.  I used that term because (as far as I'm aware) nobody in the world has managed to shoot a Livery arrow from a Mary Rose class bow 306 yards.  If that can be otherwise proven then great.  As it stands, it's the first record of it occurring which (in my mind) makes it a world record.

If I've got the definition of "world record" wrong, I'd be more than happy to know the correct one.  I do however currently stand by my belief that a world record is quite simply a record set under globally accepted specifications, which this is, considering the EWBS specifications for arrows and bows are accepted worldwide. 

Certainly if the EWBS specs were only accepted in the UK, this wouldn't be a world record.  ;)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 10:57:21 am »
 I call it perty good bow building. Heavyer the bow the hardest it is tiller.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline brian

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 07:17:07 pm »
  Just a little info on the 101 grain arrow shot it was a hazel wand stripped  and sanded  and a spine of 240 

Offline brian

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 05:48:46 am »
Re my last post, did any body notice my deliberate mistake ten out of ten if you did, should read  101 GRAMS,not grains ::)