Author Topic: Livery Arrow record  (Read 22061 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Livery Arrow record
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2015, 02:57:48 pm »
  Mark, I thought about that. I added a little for it. It would be nice to shoot the heavy arrow at a known speed and then measure the distance. The reported distances that usually come in suggest that the difference is not too great once you get past about 400 grains. I believe the livery arrow also has larger fletching which would tend to ballance it out.

Offline brian

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2015, 10:31:31 am »
Hi Blacksmith,
                       Sorry to hear that you have had limited experience with the ELB and yew  i did not realise this ,but dont despair ,keep trying and one day ,you may  be able to to make a 160lb self yew  that will shoot a 101 gram arrow 300yds plus,btw if you could make it  to a FARAS shoot when you are next in England, they would be pleased to see you,the only trouble is they concentrate much more on accuracy than distance ,which you might find a bit boring  ,also there are  some expert bow makers who i am sure could advise you on any problems you might have. Hope to see you soon. ::) ::)

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 11:38:14 am »
From a purely mathematical standpoint a shot of 340 yards with a 1600 grain arrow would require about 164 ft #'s of kinetic energy. It is unlikely that any long bow will exceed 70% efficiency. If the bow was storing about 170# of energy @70% this would leave him with about 119# of energy. This would give him about 183 ft per second which is outstanding, almost too good to be true for this design. 183 fps should give an archer no more than about 240 yards. Anything over 200 yards I would consider a good shot.

Badger, could you explain how you calculated this?
What drag coefficient do you use?
thanks
joachim

ceolith

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 12:31:53 pm »
Hi Blacksmith,
                       Sorry to hear that you have had limited experience with the ELB and yew  i did not realise this ,but dont despair ,keep trying and one day ,you may  be able to to make a 160lb self yew  that will shoot a 101 gram arrow 300yds plus,...expert bow makers who i am sure could advise you on any problems you might have. Hope to see you soon. ::) ::)

Sorry, but: LOL  ;D 8)

Offline Badger

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 12:36:18 pm »
  Joachim, I don't know how to figure the drag coeffiecient. I just know from experience what speeds it takes to get out to 300 yards. As Mark suggested this somewhat changes with arrow mass but not by all that much. Just from what I have seen it takes a minimum of about 205 fps to hit 300 yards.