Author Topic: Hickory Board Bow - first solo bow building attempt, work in progress  (Read 31655 times)

Offline Andrea S

Hello all! I've started this thread to document my first solo bow building adventure. I picked up a nice hickory board the day I bought my spring turkey and black bear tags, which I hope will give this bow some good mojo.

I've been using this build-along as a guide, with the recommendation that I start my pyramid at 2" wide with hickory. Ultimately I'm looking for a 40# draw at 26.5". I will likely do a silk tie backing as well.

I've discovered a couple things so far, one being that I'm not terribly accurate with a jigsaw, and the other being that I definitely need to invest in a drawknife. I also think that the initial limb thickness of 15/32 is a bit much (giving the limbs a very gentle test-wiggle seems to indicate this).

With the surforn workout, I may be able to draw a 50# bow by the time I'm finished!
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline fiddler49

Re: Hickory Board Bow - first solo bow building attempt, work in progress
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 02:36:14 am »
Looks like a good start for your first bow. There's always a learning curve with hand tools or power tools. If you cut outside your lines you will always have a little fudge room. Is your hickory board riff cut or quarter sawn?
With either one you don't need a backing. Cloth backings are a waste of time in my opinion. If you have to back use wood, bamboo, raw hide, or sinew. Make sure you round out all your corners before tillering. Make your belly limbs as flat and even thickness as you can. Tiny variations and dips in thickness can cause hinges. cheers fiddler4

Offline GB

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:45:03 am »
I really like hickory, but it sure isn't easy rasping it.  If you plan on making more bows, I'd suggest picking up a farrier's rasp.  They are great for roughing in the bow and take off wood like you wouldn't believe.
Looking good!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:27:45 am »
I second that farriers rasp is a mean piece of steel takes off wood like butter. To think I did 3 bows in the beginning with one of those little 4 sided rasps. What a difference the right tools make.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:39:58 am »
Looks like you are ending up with all heartwood. You'll hear mixed opinions on Hickory heartwood.

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:55:22 am »
Farriers rasp, noted! The surform is definitely slow once it's working on a smoother surface. I was not trying to go for heartwood but I dug through a massive pile of hickory at the only specialry lumber place around and heartwood was all I could get with a straight grain. Enough people said they'd made serviceable bows with it that I'm not terribly worried. I have a couple red oak boards as backup, as well.

Thanks for all the pointers,  guys!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 01:36:11 pm »
Good luck with the project.  Definitely think about heat treating that hickory board.  It will make a big difference.

Try to find someone in your area to meet up with and get some one on one time, it makes all the difference.
1’—>1’

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 11:41:29 pm »
You have the beginnings of a potentially great bow there.  Just take it slow and steady whatever tools you use and keep an eye on the poundage.  Ask questions when you have them and the crew here will be happy to provide some options.  That's an interesting approach to the overlay reflex; I have not seen that.  Good luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 11:50:16 pm »
I have been on here for only 3 years I think you are the second or third gal thats pursuing bow building.  Looking forward to what transpires.  Sometimes power tools can be intimidating but with practice you will be a pro in no time.. ;)  Sometimes hand tools are a Bowyers best friend.  I rasp out and hand saw my risers.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 11:24:10 am »
You are doing great so far.  Just flatten up the uneven cuts with a a rasp or somehow.  Make sure it is a straight line fade to tip for the pyramid design.  If you loose 1/4 in on the width it will be ok for a 40 lb. don't forget to round the edges with file and sandpaper before tillering.  If you have linen fabric it will work for backing.  Plus it will match on both limbs.  But silk ties are good idea if you want.  Feel free to keep asking questions about tiller and other things.   Most of all don't get frustrated and give up.  You have great mentors at your fingertips.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 02:09:12 pm »
When u glued the handle on did u leave an "island" on the belly wood? I couldn't tell from the pic and where the clamp sat.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 03:02:12 pm »
Thanks for the input and encouragement, guys. I'm considering backing for two reasons, the first being a little extra insurance against imperfections, and the second for practice when I end up doing my Osage bow. I'm going to try rainbow trout skin over the silk this time (because I have a lot of it in my freezer at the moment) and on my Osage bow I'll be using brown trout skin or a combo of brown trout and pike skin - partly for the look, partly for the function, partly for the predator mojo. If you've ever caught a 'hangry' brown or pike, you know what I mean!

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 03:05:48 pm »
Blaflair2, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I'm guessing you're asking if the taper doesn't just start at the handle piece? It's hard to tell but the hickory piece is full thickness on the handle and the fade continues from there.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 03:13:14 pm »
I couldn't see in the pics. Not everyone remembers that sometimes. Should make ya some meat once ya finish her up
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 03:46:51 pm »
looking good,, get that bow to bending so we can really give you alot of input,,  :)