Author Topic: Need some staves.  (Read 5714 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Need some staves.
« on: March 13, 2015, 09:40:17 am »
 I have HICKORY (pignut,shagbark),ELM,SUGAR BERRY,MULLBERRY,FLOWERING DOGWOOD. FEW SETS OF OSAGE BILLETS.(25 YEARSOLD) I'll send you #1 staves.

I also have a few 3 or 4 rate osage staves (also 25 years old). There's a bow in them if you like to take the time to let it out. I went through that creataive stag.

I'd like to trade for 1 or 2 yew staves. I also need a ocean spray stave not a sappleing. I'll do you right on any trades.

PM ME
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Need some staves.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 09:33:53 pm »
How long of a yew stave are you looking for? Billets?
Ocean spray is typically sapling size. I've never seen anything over 2"

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 08:52:19 pm »
I've got two sets of yew billets, cut in Orgeon , about 20 years ago, will trade for osage billets, I' take staves if you insist.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:50:50 am »
  I've bought OC staves from WASHINGTON ST. BACK IN THE LATE 80'S.

Sorry duke I quit make billet bows 15 years ago.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:25:48 am by Pappy »

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 12:46:21 pm »
I have got to ask...what is the prejudice against billet bows?? (I hear this a lot) If you were to find a OS that big it wood be worth the cost of premium yew, that's how hard it is to find in that size, remember it is a shrub, not a tree.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 09:18:25 pm »
For myself I like billets, maybe others have trouble with the splices. I had the pleasure several years ago of examining an osage static, found in the attic of a house my friend was remolding, Billets spliced so finely that you almost couldn't see glue lines, fish tail type, but cut at a 1/4", with four cuts in the splice. The bow was dated for 1952 or 3, couldn't make out singature at all.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:56:14 am »
For myself I like billets, maybe others have trouble with the splices. I had the pleasure several years ago of examining an osage static, found in the attic of a house my friend was remolding, Billets spliced so finely that you almost couldn't see glue lines, fish tail type, but cut at a 1/4", with four cuts in the splice. The bow was dated for 1952 or 3, couldn't make out singature at all.

Seems like a reasonable amount of people don't feel a billeted bow is of the same quality as a one piece bow....even if the spilicing is done for them. I totally understand if you want a "D" bend through the handle bow....but rigid handled...don't get it at all? Really wonder what people are thinking, and why? I generally can get billets to align almost perfectly with quality billets...not so with a stave without a bunch of bending.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:51:43 am »
  Spliceing billets togethers a step that can be avoled. And a step that can fail.

I've build a few billet bows and they were ok. But to me a real selfbows one peice of wood.

I can just see the indains around the camp fire. One leans over and says shit I got apoxy all over my mocans. No matter that splice will never hold anyways. Quick close the vice.

I still need a yew stave. At least 65 inch lenth. Down to 60 inch for me personally.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 09:45:54 am »
I have made at least 100 billet bows, never had a failure. What I did have were the best matched limbs one could hope for from side by side sister billets or piggy back billets in most cases. All the bows I have made with completely clear wood, not even a pin, were from matched billets taken from the base of a tree.

Billet staves are the best you can find in most cases and overwhelmingly my first choice for future bows.