Author Topic: Jr. High Science Fair Project  (Read 3925 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Jr. High Science Fair Project
« on: March 15, 2015, 11:49:47 am »
My son, "Swamp Badger" did a science fair project with a buddy.   They tested several arrowhead material types to see which one might provide better penetration potential.  He made all of the arrowheads except the stone points and alligator gar scales.  I wanted to share what he found and then some discussion.

He used a digital scale to record maximum force upon penetration.  Each replicate was with a fresh new arrowhead. 

I will post his write up below.

Control Variables:
•   Leather thickness
•   Person pulling scale/leather
•   Shape of arrowhead
Independent Variable: Material for arrowheads
Dependent Variable: Amount of force needed to puncture leather

Materials:
Leather to represent animal hide
Digital Scale
Clamps
Arrowheads made of:
•   Bone
•   Flint/chert (stone)
•   Rawhide
•   Alligator gar scale
•   Bison horn
•   Hardwood (persimmon and dogwood)

Testable Question: Does the type of arrowhead material affect ability for penetration through an animal hide

Hypothesis: One material will pierce the leather with less force than the other materials making it better to use for arrowheads.  We think stone will do best.

Introduction: Arrowheads have been crafted by prehistoric Native Americans for over 2,000 years, from a variety of materials. However, it has never been clearly determined which material works best. Even some states, based on opinion, have outlawed the use of stone arrowheads for hunting. Tests show stone points are effective arrow points. Experiments concerning material for points have differing results. One project showed wooden points go deeper, but stone does more damage.  Another study showed the opposite.   Neither test used the same shaped tip for the differing materials.  Having a differing size and shaped arrowhead can drastically change the results. They had too many variables. We have decided to conduct a test as fairly as possible with arrowheads of the same style and shape but with different materials. This test could answer the long going question, which material makes that superior arrowhead? 

Procedures:
1.   Gather materials
2.   Make arrowheads with assistance
3.   Attach hide to scale (Kg)
4.   Place leather on arrowhead
5.   Puncture and record
6.   Repeat steps 3-5

Conclusion: After the results of this test, we have reached the verdict that our hypothesis, although it was close, was incorrect. The results proved that in this experiment, the bone arrowheads demonstrated better penetration than other arrowheads, including the stone points. Of course there is no such thing as the perfect test, there are so many other variables that can affect the test, such as the angle of penetration, the overall sharpness, and how strong the arrowhead is. Some of our arrowheads broke during testing. Materials Then we also found that the serrations, the small indentions on an arrowhead, could affect the penetration and stability of rawhide points. If we were to do this again one thing we would change would definitely be elimination of serrations. In conclusion, this test has proven to be helpful in determining the materials that might provide a sharp but sturdy arrowhead that will effectively penetrate an animal for hunting purposes.

REFERENCES:
B. Berger. 2008 Putting Bird Points to the Test: Primitive Archer volume 16:3 pg. 14-22.
M. Larson. January 2010 Friction and Penetration in Archery: Target vs. Animal Penetration: Archery Report: http:// archeryreport.com/2010/01/friction-penetration-archery-target-animal-penetration/
J. Wilkins, et.al. August 2014 Study Shows Advantage of Stone-Tipped Spears for Prehistoric Humans: Popular Archeology
N.M. Waguespack, et.al.  2009.  Making a Point:  Wood – Versus Stone-tipped Projectiles.  Antiquity 83 (2009): pg. 786-800.

[/i]

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Jr. High Science Fair Project
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:55:48 am »
here are the stats.  while the boys were doing their work I weighed their arrowheads on a scale just for fun.  :-)  units are grains.

While testing the boys discovered almost every one of their serrated rawhide points bent without penetrating the hide.  A rawhide point without serrations penetrated just fine.  One bison horn point did the same thing by bending without penetrating. 

They also had trouble with the scale and for some reason it only pertained to the wooden points.  Sometimes they would pull and penetrate the leather but the scale would reset to 0.  SO they would run the test again on a point that may have been dulled by the initial force.  BTW the points were fire hardened.

I am tempted to run their tests again just so see if that changes things. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:00:08 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline webrx

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 11:57:26 am »
very nice, my son and I have been doing these for a few years now, and have done well.  We have done a solar powered scale pickup, wind generator for camping, and an unsinkable boat

Cool to see something archery related and also cool that "political correctness" did not stand in the way of doing something related to hunting and hunting equipment.

d
Experience - that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 01:09:24 pm »
 It would be interesting to see trade points in the mix, especially as the boys suggest that some state's hunting regulations outlawing stone in favor of metal may have been based on opinion rather than real data. SOM