Author Topic: First ever knapped head!  (Read 36210 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: First ever knapped head!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 09:07:08 pm »
Sorry to hear about that bad cut David, cool looking first point though - I'll bet you were proud :). When you get to college or sneak out behind the shed ;D. Go ahead and wear those gloves and glasses till you get comfortable with the technique and always grind any of the edges that aren't completed..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 09:10:56 pm »
  Sorry, You've never seen Steve take a 80# boulder and make a beautiful Simpson with Lil' Slugger baseball bats. 8) ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline david w.

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 09:15:46 pm »
Kegan-I will try to learn medicine tricks that would help.    Sticking my hands in my pockets lol.

Cowboy- I was extremely proud of this thats why i am so upset about having to stop.  I was wearing glasses but all i had was a palm pad.
sneaking out behind the shed ;D  Then i get some mysterious big cut and say it was a vicious squirrel. :)

Mullet-an 80#rrock with baseballbats.  WOW
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 09:56:15 pm »
Don't pay any attention to Eddie, he tends to exaggerate just a wee bit  ::) He's referring to seeing some of us manly types knapping nasty stuff like quartzite and rhyolite with big wooden billets. Eddie will take a boulder and saw it into a bejillion little triangles with his fancy slabby-machiny-thingy and then cook it in his EZ bake oven like a pan of cookies and peck and poke at it with his magnifying glass and dentist tools.  ;D  ;D  >:D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline david w.

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 10:30:39 pm »
 ;D

I just had an epiphany.  KEVLAR GLOVES!!!!!!!!!!.  i have hope now.  anyone know how much kevlar gloves cost?

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 02:23:08 am »
Woodcraft sells them for about $20-30 bucks, (one glove).  Be careful though because the small flakes might be able to go through the somewhat loose weave. They were designed to prevent slicing wounds. 

Did you cut the hand with the pressure flaker or the one holding the blank?  Wear it on that hand.  It's like wood carving, you only need to wear it on the hand holding the piece you're carving.  Seldom do you cut the hand holding the knife. ::)

I think you did good on your first try. 

Otoe   
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 08:46:11 am »
Just get a good leather glove and get back on that horse, cuts heal and their will be many more in your future ;D
Besides you can impress the girls with your battle wounds ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 12:56:55 pm »
I cut thr hand holding the pressure flaker.  How would those kevlar gloves for flieting(sp?) fish work?

It would be easier to convince my mom if i had kevlar gloves because it is what bullet proof vest are made from and she is from Chicago so she doesnt understand anything

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 07:03:21 pm »
aint sure about the gloves. but do you hunt? trade points are good for hunting.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline david w.

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 07:06:25 pm »
O ya i hunt but i am not really into trade points right now.  I dont think i have all the right stuff to make them

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 09:21:39 pm »
well M-P from cali. i traded him for some. message him and ask, if'n ya want
Modern Day Tramp

a finnish native

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 09:49:18 pm »
DanaM is right, girls love battlescars. I have one on the left side of my chest.(and a ton of them in my hands thanks to learning how to handle an axe with swetty hands) Got it from a glass bottle some maniac was wawing around in a mosh pit on a metal festival. I'm just happy it hit my chest and not any higher.. (or lower!) fortunately it was a clean cut and now I got a nice scar. the guy was of course taken down by security.
This makes me happy that we have free health care in finland.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 10:22:26 pm »
Mosh Pit? Lets see primitive bows and angry metal head music I don't see the connection
Ya ought to be listening to Johhny Cash, Hank Jr., George Jones and the Merle much safer.
My daughter does the mosh pit thingy and it drives me crazy. And no ya can't have her e-mail ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 10:34:44 pm »
i like that DanaM :D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 10:43:15 pm »
huntertrapper you I would give my daughters number to ;D especially if ya bribe me with furs ;)

Manistique, MI