Author Topic: how i make 2 fletch arras..lots o pics.  (Read 22649 times)

Dustybaer

Re: how i make 2 fletch arras..lots o pics.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 01:10:29 pm »
i guess it's the firewall at work, because at home i can see them fine.

great build-along jamie.  just a question: i seem to remember a discussion about two-feather fletching and somebody said your supposed to use the feathers "inside out" so to speak.  have you ever tried that?  and if you did, what was the difference in flight?

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 02:26:59 pm »
Very nice.  I have seen these types before, perhaps you posted them, but it is cool to see a step by step photo essay.  The two questions I have are (1), the back fold over, what is the advantage over just laying it flat? (2), what is the advantage of leaving the back portion of the inside part of the whole feather?
Steve in LV, NV

Offline artcher1

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 02:31:44 pm »

just a question: i seem to remember a discussion about two-feather fletching and somebody said your supposed to use the feathers "inside out" so to speak.  have you ever tried that?  and if you did, what was the difference in flight?

Dustybaer, having your feather "inside out" as you call it creates a four fletch effect. That, along with the proper wing fletch (right or left according to which side of the feather is stripped), makes for a very nice flying arrow.

Dustybaer

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 02:37:43 pm »
thank you art, but i'm not sure i understood the following phrase: "the proper wing fletch (right or left according to which side of the feather is stripped)".  are you merely saying not to mix right and left wing feathers on the same arrow?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 03:35:58 pm »
You're basically have both a right and left wing in a secondary feather. So for example, you strip/split away half of the right wing side then that leaves you with a left wing fletch.  You wind up with a left wing fletched arrow with left wing rotation.  Personally, I like about a 1/4 turn helical or off set on my fletching to give me some rotation for stability. ART B

Dustybaer

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 04:09:51 pm »
ok, now i got it.  ;D  thanks again.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 12:47:51 pm »
just a question: i seem to remember a discussion about two-feather fletching and somebody said your supposed to use the feathers "inside out" so to speak.  have you ever tried that?  and if you did, what was the difference in flight?

Dustybaer, having your feather "inside out" as you call it creates a four fletch effect. That, along with the proper wing fletch (right or left according to which side of the feather is stripped), makes for a very nice flying arrow. 

What Art said, plus, they lay down a lot flatter on the shaft if you put them dull-side out. If you tie them on dull-side in, the natural curvature of the feather tends to bow out from the shaft and leave a gap after awhile.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dustybaer

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 01:49:04 pm »
thanks hillbilly.  now one more question and i'll shut up  ;D  how about pounding the quills?  do you do that for this type of fletching? and if you do, do you pound them until you crush the quill or just slightly to flatten it somewhat?

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 03:05:17 pm »
i dont pound anything.
i gently work the end of quill around something round like a nail in a vice...ill do this until plyable, the older feathers will dery and breal off at the end but this is where i weed out those bad spots.
i tie so it bows out, if it sticks out too far i usualy just tie down in the center.
they fly fine and this way if i wanted to put a twist to them i could,and it would the helical will stay.

the only glue i use on them is on the foreshaft and that is usualy hide glue/tb2. what ever i have....but after you "set" the foreshaft by placing some pre-stress line fractires in the end of the cane under the wrap..and tap them down...you have to almost lock it in a vise and pull....IF you CAN pull it out.

i do alot of my finish straightning after the forshaft is in place.

i would like to see some of your guys two fletch so we can see the differences and similarities!

jamie

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 06:54:18 pm »
Jamie, I'll try to get some pics up in a few days. I agree-it would be interesting to see the variations. There was a lot of individual variation in the old ones, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dustybaer

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 10:58:48 pm »
thanks jamie

here are my attempts.  arrows didn't fly worth a crap (probably because the quill is too far from the shaft).  i also tried it with atlatl darts, those worked better.  sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 11:02:27 pm by Dustybaer »

Offline artcher1

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 12:48:19 pm »
I basically do mine like your 1st and 5th arrow shown in your second picture Dustybaer. Couple of exceptions though.  My finished fletch is inside out (curvature out) compared to yours (curvature  in). Your main or full vane side which is right handed is left fletched. Correct those two things and these two-fletch will match a three-fletch for accuracy. Will try to add a photo.-ART B

Offline artcher1

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 03:56:01 pm »
Let me try that last pic again ::)! ART B

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 04:37:27 pm »
nice art!!!

hey dustybaer...your arrows probably flew bad becauce you have both right and left full feathers trying to spin in different directions...

if you want to see a similar action go fletch up an arra with 2 rh feathers and one left wing... then youll get that same erratic flight .

i only keep pcs on to SLOW the arrow down so my LARGE heads do not plane.

cool pic guys!!!

jamie

Dustybaer

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »
art, thanks again for your explanation.  that picture really helped. very nice fletching (as was to be expected from a master fletcher like you  ;D )

jamie, all feathers on the two-fletched arrows were from the same wing, so that wasn't the problem.  it must be the way i put them on (and maybe i trimmed them too much.  only about 3/8 left on each side of the quill)