Author Topic: OJAM 2015 was a hit  (Read 11810 times)

Offline Sidewinder

OJAM 2015 was a hit
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:56:10 am »
I should have taken more pictures but here are just a few memories of another outstanding event in Oklahoma put on by the Oklahoma Selfbow Society. These guys have taught hundreds of youth and adults alike to make and shoot selfbows. It rained lightly Wed and Thurs but when it cleared up on friday it was spectacular.  Billy Moore aka Poggins worked his butt off along with all the other Red and yellow hat instructors. I think they must have given away over a hundred ratan bows to the kids that registered and you can see from their happy faces they loved it.

Hero Shot of the kids and the instructors

The little one in the pink is my grandaughter Skyler.Shes 4 going on 20.

Here are all the guys that dedicate their time and resources to ensure the event is a success and to pass on the tradition to those that want to learn

Heres a shot of the power tool pavillion where they tillered the ratan bows as well as did the cut outs etc. for anyone wanting to make a bow. There were also several shaving horses and such set up for ring chasing and such.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Sidewinder

Re: OJAM 2015 was a hit
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:00:33 am »

Skylar attempting full draw on her little bow and my grandson Guylan

Here is Jon Wompler aka JonW tillering a little kids osage bow. The two younguns are his nephews

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 01:08:05 am »
Need to go through my pics and see if there's any that could garner PG rating.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:09:52 am »
Heres the aspiring bowyer Guylan chasing his first rings on his bow he started this weekend. Although we didn't get it finished, its floor tillered and next time he comes to see Papa Dan we will get it on the tillering tree. These rings were probabley in the 1/16th range so do let me here anyone whinning about tight rings being hard to chase. If a 14yr old can do it so can you. ;)

Maybe you guys remember the bow I made for Caleb here about a onth or so ago. Here is Caleb shooting his bow a couple days before the event when he went down with me to set up the tipi. Unfortunately he wasn't able to make the event but he did a good job of digging the little trench around the tipi to handle rain run off. Had to get a little slave labor out of him.

If anyone else attending has photos they want to post feel free. I will try and do a better job getting more pics of the action next time. If you haven't had a chance to make this event its a dandy.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 01:14:41 am »
Knoll Yeah I here ya. It seemed we all turned into werewolves when the sun went down and the kids were tucked in there bags. I sure wished I could have taped some of the hillarious conversasions we had around the fire. Someone (I won't mention names) brought some home made fire water that sure helped stimulate the laughter. Did I meet you and did'nt realize it? Kinds hard to put our PA handles and faces together without name tags.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 05:44:47 am »
Looks like a great time, good for you guys passing it on to the kids. Very cool. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:46:26 am »
OUTSTANDING: Passing on the tradition and keeping it alive.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 08:59:16 am »
Excellent job with the kids!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:24:24 am »
Looks like a great time, I am gonna have to make it out one of these years

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:43 pm »
heres some pics my wife took of me and our little girl.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:18:08 pm »
Great picture of all those kid holding their bows up with gigantic smiles on their faces, pretty special event when you can make that many kids happy. Nice going guys.
Sounds like the big kids had some fun too. Wouldn't mind hitting the road for that get together myself one of these years.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 10:27:02 pm »
That looks like a great event.  A big round of applause for all the guys making the kids bows   That is very cool.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 07:32:16 am »
Good stuff right there
Keep it up
Wish this event was in warmer season so I could come!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline jimmy

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:15 am »
I always feel a little down after OJAM.  I look forward to it every year, the bows, the camaraderie, guy time with me and my boys.  Don't get me wrong, I like the hot shower and soft bed when I get home, but it always seems to go by too quick.  I am already daydreaming about OJAM next year.  By the way Danny, I'm getting the feeling that our clan is the liveliest of the whole encampment.  I hope nobody gets annoyed because I sure do have a lot of fun and laughs, treasures that sustain!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 02:03:23 pm »
Yeah I think your right Jimmy. I must say buddy, you are a man of many talents and your concert around the fire on Friday after JP's gator feed was epic. You really rocked it bud. Can't wait till you bring out the family  this summer for a little mini bowjam.