Author Topic: ash Menominee Indian bow I made for a tribe member (pic heavy)  (Read 8502 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
this is a style of D Bow that was sometimes made by the Menominee Indians it has the scalloped edges I believe they did this basically for two reasons one to decorate their weapon and 22 show that they had guts and we're not afraid to be recognized by the enemy as a Menominee Indian I made this for an actual Menominee tribe member who is a friend of mine here in Wisconsin this is the first of hopefully many of the style bows that I make for the actual tribe he loved it! :-) it's made from ash it has a light stain on it and it ended up 46 pounds at 26 inches I can't remember the length I believe tip to tip it was somewhere in between 58 and 62 inches he already has it he plans to try and take a whitetail deer with it this coming season on the Menominee land the Sinew wraps are just for looks ,  i harvested the sinew from a freshly killed deer i found while hiking near the traditional Menominee lands I also collected the stave ash near the traditional home lands of the Menominee Indiansplease enjoy this very special bow that I made for a close friend
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

Re: ash Menominee Indian bow I made for a tribe member (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 12:32:01 pm »
I left the tips natural I tried to make this exactly the way they would have made it a long time ago this is after much research many talks with many elders of the Menominee tribe I even contacted the Historical Society of the Menominee museum to make sure that I got this right
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 12:34:54 pm »
this is my little trick that I always use for inlays I had a nice  Knot here so I chose to mix up 2 part epoxy and add colored pencil shavings then I grind basically to a powder and I made it look slightly light blue and then I cut the leather for the handle so it would allow the blue inlay 2 peek through the top of the handle

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:36:49 pm »
in these pictures you can see the sinew wraps that I did periodically down the bow

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 12:39:22 pm »
here are the much anticipated,,, full draw pics! it's kind of hard to noticed but the last four inches or so on the ends of the limbs are a little bit thicker and don't bend as much I did this to reduce hand shock I hope you guys liked this BoW please feel free to critique and let me know what you think

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 12:56:26 pm »
That is a wild looking hunting weapon. Good work man!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 01:04:17 pm »
That is a wild looking hunting weapon. Good work man!  :)

Thank you brother

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 02:03:36 pm »
If the string breaks you saw the deer's head off, right?

Fierce looking bow >:D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 02:05:50 pm »
I like that one, it's got Spirits.
Don't shoot!

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 02:15:52 pm »
that is an awesome bow - great great work. 
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Drewster

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 03:38:28 pm »
That's a fine bow.  I think it's terrific that you made it for a Menominee friend.....and so glad to hear he really liked it.  I'm sure he is very proud to have it.  Keep up the good work for our Native American brethren.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 05:41:01 pm »
Cool bow, great story with it.
It just has to take a deer.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 08:49:16 pm »
That is sweet. ..

What wood is it made from?
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 08:54:15 pm »
That is sweet. ..

What wood is it made from?

ASH not sure if its black ash or white or what . It was yellowish in appearence before i staind it . It looked and acted just like the mulberry i had down in florida . Its a fast shooter for sure ... tomorrow I'm going to go over there to my Menomonee friends house and I will get some pictures of him pulling it full draw because it's made to fit him so it should look a little better with him pulling it

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:06 pm »
Thanks! ... that is a awesome looking bow. .. i wish i could make one así...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders