Author Topic: Self Nocks VS. Plastic Nocks (Accuracy and consistency)  (Read 8781 times)

Offline arachnid

Self Nocks VS. Plastic Nocks (Accuracy and consistency)
« on: March 16, 2015, 04:58:17 pm »
Since almost every little thing effects arrow flight, I`ve been wondering about
the pros and cons of self nocks and plastic (god forbid!!!) nocks.
Assuming I don`t cut my self nock to be perfectly identical, is there a benefit
to plastic nocks to get more accuracy and consistency?

Dor

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Self Nocks VS. Plastic Nocks (Accuracy and consistency)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 06:52:01 pm »
I wish I was a good enough shot to tell the difference.   :-\
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 06:56:48 pm »
Self nocks are way more durable. IMO   I make self nocks so they are loose on the string and I think they are more accurate than a snap nock because the string doesn't interfere with the arrow flight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline arachnid

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 07:20:32 pm »
Pat, that mean that if I wnat to be consistent I have to cut all the nock identical, doesn`t it?
Doesn`t the slight change in the way each arrow touchs the string changes its flight a bit?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:42:12 pm »
If the slot is centered and not too tight on the string it should shoot fine. I prefer a loose fit.
  When I make self nocks I cut a single saw kerf in the end of the arrow, perpendicular to the stiff side of the arrow. Then I open the slot with a thin bladed knife or razor and sand paper folded over and over again until the self nock fits the string. Then round all edges and round the bottom of the nock where the string will wrap around at full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:21:49 am »
I've made quite a few self nocks but the last few batches of arrows I cheated and put plastic nocks on them.  Arrow making is not my favorite thing to do.  I haven't noticed a difference between the two.  I make my self nocks snap on the string like the plastic ones.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 03:50:51 pm »
I agree with Pat on the durability of self nocks.  I prefer them for that reason alone.  I cut them in perpendicular to the grain on my POC arrows and if you give them a good thread wrap soaked in glue just below the nock, they will usually outlast the glue on nocks.  I notice no difference in the accuracy.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 11:35:24 pm »
Self nocks are way more durable. IMO   I make self nocks so they are loose on the string and I think they are more accurate than a snap nock because the string doesn't interfere with the arrow flight.

Ya.............but don't the self nocks wear out after a while.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 12:27:47 am »
I've never had a self nock wear out or break. I did ruin one once with a "robinhood" shot but the sinew wrap was still tight.  ;)

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:45:16 am »
No plastic fo me! I like to make them loose fitting too.. So they just fit nice on the string with no snap but no slop side to side. Only broken them due to 'robinhoods' which is really about the only way to break one unintentionally. No problems stacking arrows, no problems filling the freezer, and definitely no issue with them wearing out. Got self nocks with thousands of shots on em that have no wear. You'll break or lose plastic nocks long before you have any issues with a self nock.

There is the convenience factor I suppose. All you gotta do is taper and glue a plastic nock and then glue another if it breaks or pops off. I find making arrows very therapeutic anyway, and a beautifully crafted self nock is my favorite part, so I'll pass on the convenience.

I think you're putting too much thought into it.  There are a lot of factors that effect arrow flight but there is no way you're going to notice a micro-measurement of inconsistency in the nocks. As far as I know you should be mostly concerned with weight and spine consistency for accurate shooting. Iv got some nocks that are noticeably different from the next and there is no difference in flight whatsoever. Your fletching does a remarkable job of steering out the silly little stuff.

Arrows were found in Denmark dating 9,000 - 8000 B.C... As early as 16,000 B.C. there is evidence of flints heads attached to split shafts with sinew and fletchings being glued and bound. The first polymer plastic was invented in 1907... That should explain everything :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:04:40 am by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 08:10:32 am »
I use both and see no real difference.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 04:26:02 pm »
I think one of the only differences could be that plastic nocks are usually much thinner where they clip on to the string than the arrow diameter.  Unless you thin your self nocks down to match, your arrows would be at a "slightly" different angle causing  variable elevation when switching between the the two.  Again, probably a negligible difference.

FAW

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 09:24:50 am »
I use both, however, when I have lots of time and can concentrate on them properly while making them up, I prefer the self nocks. I try to make them fit loose but snap-on like the plastics. If I make 'em right, they are quite rugged and I never have to worry about them coming off.

Offline Shot Caller

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 02:37:25 am »
I use both and can't tell much of a difference so I end up using plastic most of the time.