Author Topic: Improvised broad heads  (Read 9901 times)

Offline man at arms

Re: Improvised broad heads
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 11:53:03 pm »
What puzzles me is that there are cheaper, easier, quicker, and better ways to make an arrow point. I don't know why he'd take the time to do that.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 12:52:18 am »
Especially with the nocks not being reinforced.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 04:48:19 am »
I wouldn't shoot those at anything.

Dito. - Bad ethics shooting something like that at an animal, I'd say, redneck or not.
Arrow materials for decent arrows would be 20 Euros here, with brodheads it would be still cheaper than this offer. So what's the point??
Frank from Germany...

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 06:57:25 am »
I sure hope you didn't buy those

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 08:37:43 am »
$50 for 6 of these is ridiculous. Obviously the maker wasn't an arrow maker. They look pretty cheesy to me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 10:09:08 am »
...as far as glass arrowheads, obsidian is volcanic glass and many animals have been killed with obsidian heads as well as beer bottle glass heads, 1/4" thick window glass, TV picture tube glass and many other sources. Heck, even flint(generically speaking) arrowheads can be chipped when a bone is struck.
...and even a metal broadhead can crack and break when bone is hit.
 If the arrow is shot through or into the ribcage very little meat is adversely affected.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 10:52:36 am »
Some fool will buy them and another fool will fill his pockets with said fools money.

I read about all kinds of broad head materials guys use and say works just fine, yet never have taken a deer with them. Try that first before you call them "just fine". I've wrecked heavy duty double layered store bought heads on dead deer more times than I can remember, I couldn't imagine tossing anything less at them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 12:09:14 pm »
I can't see the pics, but given the description of 'em I sure as heck wouldn't buy them. 

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 04:19:29 pm »
Are the nocks heat treated or is it just me?  And you said these were supposed to be used with an 80# bow?

Offline man at arms

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 04:38:07 pm »
The maker sells these same arrows in packages with 80 lb bows, so I guess he intends them for use in the bows. It does look like the inside of the knocks were charred with something. The shafts appear to be hardware store dowels (given the porous appearance). The fletchings are obviously colored duct tape.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 06:05:53 pm »
He sure does have a creative way of describing his bows and arrows.  I guess he doesn't want to say they are made from pvc and duct tape.  I like his statement about what the bow is made from:  "a synthetic compound material that is far more durable than wood"   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline man at arms

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 06:51:53 pm »
Again, nothing wrong with making a PVC bow. They work. I just wouldn't buy or sell one.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 07:21:03 pm »
Yeah but at least admit its a pvc bow and not a synthetic compound material.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 08:48:32 pm »
I don't think those nocks are heat treated. I suspect he's using a power tool of some kind to cut the nocks and it is building up heat either through being dull or being pushed too hard and not letting the tool cut properly.
When I was making and selling custom wood arrows one of my options was a self nock or a horn reinforced self nock. I didn't charge a lot more than this fellow but I can assure you the nocks were a whole lot different!

Guy

Offline le0n

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 08:49:57 pm »
Again, nothing wrong with making a PVC bow. They work.

^^ very true. if done properly they can serve a purpose. i have absolutely no problem with him selling those.

on the other hand, he should not be allowed to sell those arrows; at all.

i'm feeling guilty just reading this thread, knowing that someone can be seriously injured from his lack of knowledge in building/reinforcing/matching the arrows to the bows he's kitting them with.