Author Topic: Let's see your proven portable blind for turkey hunting  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Chief RID

Let's see your proven portable blind for turkey hunting
« on: March 26, 2015, 12:25:00 am »
I would like to see the portable blind set ups that have been successful for turkey. Include seat and placement in the blind and shooting angle and direction. Also decoy placement and the type of shot expected. I am planning to hunt this way all season if necessary to get a bird and I need the help.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:43:21 am by Chief RID »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Let's see your proven portable blind for turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:42:22 am »
Yep, very comfortable and warm, they hardly notice at all.  ;) ;D ;D ;D Just kidding , I usually just make a make shift blind and if using decoy I place it about 15 yards and facing away, the Tom will come around to the back ya know. :o ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:15:40 am »
I should have been more specific.Taking a turkey with the bow. I am looking for that poop shoot shot when in full strut at 10 yds. I figure a very concealed portable blind is going to be my best bet. I plan on sitting in a known activity area and just sit and wait. No run and gun. I will do a lot of reading and napping I suppose.

Pappy, I like your blind. Very stylish.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:42:49 am by Chief RID »

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 03:26:32 pm »
 I made a ghillie back in 82 to gobbler hunt in. Personally I kiled 39 useing it with a shot gun. 15 Gobblers with a selfbow.

LEARN TO SET FOR A BOW SHOT. Not where you can see the bird comeing to get that really good film footage. Thats a shot gun tatic.

Learn to set up with your back to the on comeing gobbler.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 06:52:34 pm »
Your back to the bird, like crooketarrow says, and up against a big ol' tree if possible.  Then have your decoy out in front of you about 20 yds and facing you.  But then, if you were that kid that knew what was in every package under the tree before Dec 21st, this will not work for you, because you can't help but peek.  Peeking is a guarantee you will get busted.  Then you gotta use a blind like Pappy's!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 06:26:31 am »
Yep, very comfortable and warm, they hardly notice at all.  ;) ;D ;D ;D Just kidding , I usually just make a make shift blind and if using decoy I place it about 15 yards and facing away, the Tom will come around to the back ya know. :o ;)
   Pappy
That reminds me.
When my Brother got my Dad's old car. He complained that the wing mirrors were too high???
When I asked why, he said when he pulls up to shoot pigeons on the farmers field he puts down the window and likes to use the wing mirror to rest his air rifle barrel on :laugh: and they're too high.

Damn, that's made me think of pigeon breasts flash fried with garlic, red wine and new potatoes ... mmmmm
Tastes a bit like venison, 'cos our pigeons are as big as your Whitetails ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 07:49:25 am »
Sounds like good advice all around. I am going to have some time Friday evening to practice out of the blinds that my buds are bringing to the lease. One friend is even bringing a 3D turkey so I will set my decoys up and every thing and make sure I can get off an unrestricted shot. Friday morning I will be doing it the old fashion way but I will probably carry the shotgun while scouting that morning.