Author Topic: beginer needs help with arrows  (Read 3391 times)

Offline recurve shooter

beginer needs help with arrows
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:00:04 am »
i have recently started shooting. i have a recurve and a slightly stronger longbow, but the thick louisiana terrain i hunt prevents me from useing my longbow. i need to know what wieght and spine of arrows i should shoot. i lack the suplies to make my own or i would, and im only 15 so i dont have a bunch of money to spend. but i prefer carbon arrows. my bow is a pierson recurve, 35# at 28 inches, but my draw length is 32 inches. so, i need help choseing arrows. and i use a low poundage bow for a reason, if i miss, the arrows dont go as far and are easyer to find, and the arrows, when i hit something, stay lodged in the game as they bolt, cutting deeper as they run. but back to the main topic, HELP PLEASE!! I LOST- ???
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: beginer needs help with arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:09:15 am »
I think you should have someone measure your draw length. If you are shooting a 32" draw you are either 6'8" or drawing way past where the rest of us draw to. Do you anchor your draw? If you do draw 32" you want a spine around 55#. Considering that a Pearson bow is almost center shot you could get away with the spine being off a bit. I would figure out what you need for the longbow and use them in both if I was pressed for money. OH WAIT, I am pressed for money, that is why I shoot sticks I gather up in the yard.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:24:22 am »
lol. i am actualy 6ft4, so i do have an unusually long draw.
lets just shoot it

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 01:29:16 am »
i just measured it, its 31 inches ;D my draw length that is.
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 02:48:47 am »
That is a little better, but still long. Where do you anchor and are you measuring to the back of the bow?  I'm 6'3" so I can relate a little.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 03:21:30 am »
.....Iam 6 ' 2 " and I draw 26 " Have taught myself ta do this . Have used 24 " in the past. There are advantages ta shortenin' yer draw. Money is only one of them ! ;) ;D......................bob

daniel

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:18:04 am »
recurve shooter,
get some shafts from 3RiversArchery, they have inexpensive carbon sticks like Beman ICS and Hawk (ask for size 500, but don't worry if they don't have it, 400 will probably be just as good on center shoot recurve)
If Your bow can handle Fast Flight string: by all means used
leave Your arrows full length and get different weight points so can see what works best for You
have fun and good luck!
daniel