Author Topic: First long beards this spring.  (Read 2072 times)

Offline crooketarrow

First long beards this spring.
« on: March 27, 2015, 03:12:04 pm »
  On the 26 Th I was just 5 yards inside the woods line in a log blind. It once had a tin roof long before my time. Who ever but it here either was a turkey hunter or just put it there because the woods looks good there. I want to think he was a gobbler hunter.

First time I've been here this year. Something about this place. It's became a special place I like to just pass the mornings. Just letting the morning unfold. The closest roost that I was set up for was 75 yards away. I've called up let walk 18 gobblers the last 5 springs. This is the 6 Th spring I guess the #'s 20 now.

One I arrowed 3 friends shot 5 long beards and a boy down the road I took him one morning last year He killed a Jake. HE'S A TURKEY HUNTER NOW FOR SURE. Before he shot the Jake (SAME MORNING)I called up first a 2 year old that went 20 yards to his left out in the field behind us.

At 10:30 I had a 3 year old struting 15 yards to his left for 10,12 Min's. Before going out into the field behind us. But he held his own and didn't try to out move the gobbler. I'm sure for a 13 year old he must have been biting nails.

The 2 was 2 long beards 75 yards over my left shoulder there was 4 or 5 Jake's 40 yards on the other side of the hollow. Down 100 yards at the corner of the field 3 gobblers going off. Way off to my left out in the fields 2 places that a gobbler gobbling.

I had a hen 60 yards to my left down the wood line along the field. I had spook the hen before she when that way. So  I took my gloved had and kept moving it but where she could see it but the gobblers couldn't. She few down and yelped hard  the gobblers were going off. The had to go my me to get to her.

They few down I made sure she saw me. The gobblers were on the ground 75 yards over the hill in the hollow. She went away yelping hard but leaving at least. A cluck and a little purring. Double gobbles and were 50 yards coming my way. I shut up next gobbles were 12, 15 yards behind me.

If you've ever had a gobbler 15 yards behind you blowing out your ear drums. If your not a gobbler before you will be after that. It blows setting up watching the gobbler come to you. Try setting up with your back to the on coming gobbler.

You'll change the way you gobbler hunt. Beside setting up watching the gobbler come is a shot gun tatic almost wortless to a selfbow hunter.

Grandaddy once told me if you can see the gobbler he can see you. How true

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING