Author Topic: Mary Rose arrow number AZ472/19  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
Mary Rose arrow number AZ472/19
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:44:08 pm »
I've just finished an article on a Mary Rose arrow number AZ472/19 which I hope will be of interest to some of you. The data was supplied to me after a conversation with the Mary Rose Trust. I've added a couple of illustrations so the dimensions are clearer and included some of my thoughts.
If you make some I'd be interested in how they shoot.

http://warbowwales.com/#/warbow-arrows/4588842944

Offline Ian.

Re: Mary Rose arrow number AZ472/19
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:26:10 pm »
It's about time there was a 'livery' type arrow defined clearly, nice one Jeremy.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 11:42:42 pm »
Why this particular one?
 Interesting about the modern 32" standard. Seems like that was chosen to flatter rather than give an average.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 04:33:50 am »
Why this particular one?
 Interesting about the modern 32" standard. Seems like that was chosen to flatter rather than give an average.
Indeed.
Some random musings:-
I find I can draw 30-31 but 32" causes me to over stretch and I end up with a nice string bruise on my left pec'. (For the record I'm 5'10")
I think the term "average" is slightly inappropriate as the main groupings centred at about 28" and 31"and there may not actually be any MR arrows at the  average (or the mean) length.
I certainly agree that being overly obsessive about a 32" draw is nonsensical. (Mind we are taller these days)
Doubtless the archers would shoot the arrow provided for them but maybe there were bundles of long 'uns and short 'uns to choose from?

I find the idea of a "standard arrow" for warbow flight shooting slightly odd as I can easilly imagine the archers making up (or modifying) their own flight arrows and gambling with each other on the outcome of distance contests.
Del

@ Yeomanbowman Nice article and nice arrows, thanks for posting
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:37:40 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 04:41:26 am »
Yeomanbowman

Very well written and well researched article, thank you.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:13:14 am »
Thanks Gents!

Pat,  I contacted the Mary Rose Trust about the matter of finding an extant arrow that would be representative of the modal average of their 600 plus analysed shafts and they very kindly gave me the information for AZ472/19.

I would appreciate any results that anyone gets if they also make a reproduction.

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:22:38 am »
Yeomanbowman

Am I right in thinking that the Warbow Wales group is going to adopt AZ472/19 as their default livery specification?
It seem very sensible if they do.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 04:22:39 pm »
Yeomanbowman
Am I right in thinking that the Warbow Wales group is going to adopt AZ472/19 as their default livery specification?
It seem very sensible if they do.

Yes, that's correct.  We are keen to promote strong shooting with military arrows, along with other historical events, at our shoots.  To this end, we have made a 100lb wych elm and 80lb ash bow sturung with hemp and some extra AZ472/19 arrows that will be available for people to try for distance.

Hugh Soar was keen that we should also shoot the Standard Arrow so we will be using this as an arrow to be shot from whatever longbow/string an archer wishes.