Author Topic: Tri-lam final update ( Finished and doomed...)  (Read 7669 times)

Offline Johnny K

Re: Tri-lam Tiller advice? update
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 12:03:32 pm »
Thanks for the pointer,

Just checked three rivers, 1/4# B50 for $11.75, but to ship it to Canada, the cheapest way would be $15.99. Kinda hurts to pay more for shipping than for the merchandise, but I may end up going that route.

Thanks,
John
If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 01:15:30 pm »
Buy two rolls and u will have two colors. And ull make ALOT of strings. Or buy strings.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 01:35:43 pm »

U don't flemish twist fast flight as far as I know. And u can get rolls of b50 for like 5 bux at 3 rivers. Also if u don't have horn or phenolic overlays fast flight is bad

I flemish twist ff strings, and if you pad the loops you don't need overlays at all
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 01:40:45 pm »
Basically bows is canadian, one 1/4lb spool of fast flite is 40bucks without shipping. Not sure what shipping would be.  I just use one colour.  No need to be fancy. :)     In the long run, ordering strings for every bow you make will be waaay more expensive, plus, when you make them yourself, with fastflite, you can make them with so few strands it verges on obscene, saving even more money.    I can't post the link because they're not sponsors.
I flemish twist ff strings, and if you pad the loops you don't need overlays at all
+1

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »
Thanks for the tip!

I'll definitely check them out.

John
If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 03:20:22 pm »
The bow is finished!

70# @ 30"

String is BCY-8125 with muskrat fur silencers. The bow is finished with a water based varnish... (bad idea, it's starting to crack on the belly, but oh well, I'll try something else next time...)

Thanks for the advice and comments while I was building, I learned a lot during the process! 

Notes to self for next bow:

Only two laminations.
Solid backing strip (no splice), so no "cap" is necessary on the back, hard to fade that in properly without sanding into the back...
Try a different finish, maybe tru-oil?
Reflex bow and flip tips for greater speed.

And now for the pictures:

Offline Johnny K

Re: Tri-lam final update ( Finished!!!)
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 03:22:50 pm »
And of course a full draw pic...  :)

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 03:24:30 pm »
How worried/terrified should I be about this splinter I discovered on the back? 

Offline Parnell

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 03:57:51 pm »
Yeah, that's really not good.  Fill it with slightly warmed super glue and wrap it, asap.
1’—>1’

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 04:13:09 pm »
I'd like to see the cracks in the finish on the belly, may be something more sinister like cryshals

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 04:25:46 pm »
Yeah, that's really not good.  Fill it with slightly warmed super glue and wrap it, asap.
I may try the super-glue Parnell, I don't see how I could get anything under the splinter though, it's so tiny (I'm attaching another image with a pen for scale)

I'd like to see the cracks in the finish on the belly, may be something more sinister like cryshals

This is what the cracks on the belly look like. There was nothing visible before I shot the bow after finishing... 

Thanks, John
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:32:10 pm by Johnny K »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Tri-lam final update ( Finished!)
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 04:51:21 pm »
That bow is done for my friend. Compression fractures all over the belly and a splinter on the back is certain death.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 05:09:35 pm »
That's what i was afraid of, anytime i hear ," i have tiny cracks in the finish on the belly, too bad i was a pretty bow, how much did you shoot it before finish?

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 05:14:25 pm »
Fyi, oak wasn't a great belly wood choice maple back and belly with purpleheart would be good on your next bow

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 05:23:04 pm »
Around two dozen arrows, maybe around fifty after.

I guess the bow is firewood then, too bad, I had hoped that at last I would make one to last... :'( Do you think I can shoot it till it dies, or is it likely to explode dangerously?

Looks like oak wasn't up to the the compression of a 70 pound bow... Would it be worth the effort to belt sand this one (belly and back) to a lower weight, make some kind of kids' longbow?

Will try different woods next time...

Thanks,
John