Author Topic: Billeted bows, why the prejudice?  (Read 7703 times)

Limbit

Re: Billeted bows, why the prejudice?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 10:32:12 pm »
I usually billet and the reason I started doing it was because I read in many posts that the wood on each limb will more closely match. It is true. It is significantly easier for me to tiller out a billeted bow than a full length stave . Sometimes the grain is actually bookmatched (mirrored) and looks totally beautiful when completed. I am always a bit hesitant internally of a failure in the splice, but as of yet, that has never once happened. I don't even bind the splice. Even a simple V-splice, when long enough and glued well is more than sufficient to work as a splice on a higher poundage bow. Plus, if you are into collecting your own wood from the forest, you have SO many more options for finding and utilizing wood. My suggestion to every archer is: Learn to billet. It can even be done with hand-tools if you practice a bit (that's how it was done for ages anyway before the advent of the bandsaw).

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:51 pm »
A lot of my bows are spliced especially when they have a deflex handle.  Straight bows not so much
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 11:45:52 pm »
I've never made a spliced bow or takedown,  but I have lots of billets drying.  And I'm ready to give it a try.
So no prejudice here.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Traxx

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 11:51:24 pm »
I guess i was never aware of any prejudice. ???

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 12:20:48 am »
I have never seen, in the 3 years I've followed this site, a post deriding or "talking down" two piece bows. I may have missed the ones that are but I can't remember any in that time.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 01:44:43 am »
There is a prejudice, I hear it quite frequently....not here so much, which is good. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 02:56:59 am »
I only hear it from people who have their heart set on a 'proper' old style English self Yew longbow.
Which is fine if they don't mind a long wait or they turn up with a stave for me to work on.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.