Author Topic: Seated Stringing  (Read 4314 times)

Offline WarBeer

Seated Stringing
« on: April 01, 2015, 09:52:20 pm »
I'm shooting from a wheelchair and have struggled at times with stringing my bows. Up 'till now, I've placed the bow on my lap (facing away) with the stringer running behind me (behind chair back). I push with my left arm and string with my right hand. On my 64" deflex/reflex, this was always a challenge. It's not a great angle, so my arm (left/push) would run out of reach just as I struggled to get the string loop on. My little 50" Samick SKB was never to difficult, as the shorter limbs = less string to stretch. The old "nylon chord" stringer that I used on the 64" wore out and I purchased a new one that uses paracord. Well, the paracord stretches a bit too much. I just can't get it strung this way. So, I need a new method...lol. I was thinking that a "tillering stick" would probably work. I was hoping to get some thoughts from those more familiar, since I've never owned or used a tillering stick. Would it need to be longer than a typical tillering stick? Would I benefit from having one with a larger "cup like" cradle as opposed to the inexpensive and common "board" version? Maybe have a latch or strap over bow handle to prevent a "finished" bow from flying off into outer space should the stringer boot slip off (god forbid...lol)?

I know that bow vises get used on compound bows. I don't even know it they would work on a tradition bow. Plus, expensive and would take up space.

I'll probably never go much longer than a 64"...but I'd really like the flexibility to shoot others besides my SKB 50".

Any advise would be most appreciated:)

Scott

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Seated Stringing
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:25:28 pm »
Scott,
I wish I had some advice to give you, I'm not that experienced.
I do wish you luck in finding a solution to your problem, PA is the place to ask, there are some very experienced and knowledgable people here, perhaps try asking this question in "around the campfire" more people might see it.
Good luck.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 04:11:14 pm »
Scott Id suggest fabbing up a press from wood. I don't think it would be too hard to get something rigid enough to bend the limbs to brace. You can get those boat trailer winches dirt cheap, mount it on center. Add a few 2 x 4 uprights and you have a stringer. Add a chunk of carpet on top of the uprights to protect the backs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 05:18:16 pm »
I'd pm badger, he posted a pic of what he uses to string bows and i think it would work slick for you
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline WarBeer

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 07:33:01 pm »
@ Pearl Drums...are you envisioning something that could work on different lengths and shapes? I've thought about mounting a winch and using a "limb saver" style stringer approach so that the placement could be easily adjusted. Plus, there would be no chance of the stringer slipping off like with a traditional cup style?

@ Buddy...thanks for the "badger" reference. I'll see if I can't message him:)

Scott

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:04:34 pm »
I think the same height would work for all bows, you'd just have to slide the uprights in and out to accommodate different length bows.

bubby is right. Steve has a cool wooden bracer he made. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WarBeer

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 04:54:39 pm »
I've received some great ideas from this forum! Thanks to all:)