Author Topic: yew sapwood color question  (Read 2815 times)

Offline longbowhntr

yew sapwood color question
« on: April 27, 2015, 08:29:12 am »
Another question please.
As I thinned the sapwood down, the white sapwood turned more of a tanish color in part of the bow. Is this something to be concerned about? The sapwood thickness now about 3/16 for the most part. A better description might be like a cross between sapwood and heartwood, (darker than sapwood lighter than heartwood). It seems to be in 5 or 6 rings. Is this normal for yew? By the way I have it chased to one sapwood ring now i do believe.
If pics are needed let me know and I'll try to get some posted later.
Thanks again for your responses. They are much appreciated.
David
Near Dardanelle of Yell County Arkansas

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: yew sapwood color question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:27:59 am »
I've had weird staves where it goes sap,heart,sap heart with the thick sapwood having streaks of barker heart wood in it.
(See pic bottom right in this post http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/reinvigorated.html )
I've made decent bows out of it, and generally tried to take it down to a layer of paler sapwood on the back.
The bows have tended to be slightly low on performance and have benefited from heat treating the belly.
Best theory is that they are from the compression side of the tree/limb rather than the tension side... dunno for sure.
I have a stave made of two billet just like that sulking in the corner of my garage!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:14:37 am »
Yes sir. Thats pretty much what it looks like.  I was going to post a couple pics but im having trouble with getting them uploaded right now.
It appears there is only about 1/8 inch of the white sapwood under the darker stuff. Would that be enough sapwood remaining?  Or would it be better to leave it like it is?
David

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 11:52:21 am »
I'd just pretend the dark streak is sapwood... you can feel how it behaves, but my money is on it feeling like slightly firm sapwood.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 06:04:18 pm »
Yew works even when you barge down through all the sapwood and expose actual heartwood, even on heavy bows.  Its amazing stuff.  If you've got one continuous ring, regardless what it's made of your bow back will be more or less bullet proof. 

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 09:51:29 pm »
Alright. Sounds good.
I'll keep moving forward with it like it is. I think it looks kinda cool actually.  A year or so ago my wife was at some antique/junk store and found an old Ben Pearson "Super Jet" solid fiberglass bow and brought it home. It is a 2 tone tan/white mixed color that resembles this piece of yew.
Thanks David

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 06:59:50 am »
This is a pic of one I made recently - it's only 55# or so, but the sapwood had this really nice streak all the way through it that looked quite cool in the handle splice.

And if you're ever nervous about knots, streaks etc on yew bows, just take a look at this one I made last week that ended up being 60# ish.  Packed full of rot, bug damage, knots and huge holes.  I think yew can take more abuse, mistakes and naturally occurring problems than any other bow wood.

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 01:57:34 am »
WillS
Those some nice looking bows. Thanks for posting those. I like seeing what others make out of less than perfect wood. Your right that handle splice is cool.