Author Topic: Thin ringed, knotty osage bow  (Read 7923 times)

Offline jimmy

Re: Thin ringed, knotty osage bow
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 09:45:23 am »
Thanks for looking and for the compliments everyone. 
Hammish, you're probably right about the typical fate of thin ringed bows.  Some of it might have to do with the individual piece of wood and how strong it is.  Some of it might have to do with the tiller and the way the back has been worked.  I took every precaution I could, but I know it's pushing the safety limits, so needless to say this will not be my go-to shooter.  On the other hand, my confidence went way up on working with more reasonable thin ringed staves in the future (1/16"-1/32" for example). 

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 07:31:50 pm »
Killer work on that bow Jimmy. Your right the coloring in that osage is striking as is the bow itself, real nice job getting such a nice bow out of that. Also gotta say I like that rustic cabin in the background of the pic., if thats where you work on bows I'm envious. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 07:30:41 am »
That little cabin is his bowshed and he lives smack dab in the a city neighborhood. He has a little oasis there in his backyard compound.  :) Jimmy is an exceptional man with many talents. Im glad he is posting some of his work. He has much to offer.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Hamish

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 11:07:52 pm »
Hey Jimmy, You did a stellar job on this one. I didn't mean to sound like I was raining on your parade. Just wanted you to be aware what you could do if things happened in the future. Like you said a lot comes down to the individual stave. The tiller looks really good and so does the broad craftsmanship.
                                                       Hamish

Offline jesswprater

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 10:35:06 am »
That is a great looking bow! Good to learn from Hamish about treatment of thin ringed wood. I have a couple of staves like that. Where do you get thin rawhide?? I looked at that poundage and the limb width and thought "How the hell did he do that?". Then, I noticed the bow length and think I solved my problem with another bow. Many thanks!