Author Topic: Why do my arrows fly better with the bow upside down!  (Read 9132 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Why do my arrows fly better with the bow upside down!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 03:37:47 am »
Your post definitely indicates the arrows are way too stiff.
Don't cut the arrow pass away any more... If arrows can fly out of a 1.5" wide Warbow straight, then you must be able to get 'em flying right.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 06:36:52 am »
OK - a super heavy tip gets the arrows flying straight (but isn't that one of the advantages to a EFOC)...

It does look like the arrows with the lighter tip is kicking off the rest with the fletching going to the left as it leaves the bow (I am right handed)...

I suppose I could try building up the rest way way more than it is and see if the light arrow starts to fly well off this side...

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 12:15:35 pm »
this is probably a dumb suggestion but it may help...

try shooting a couple off the other side of your hand  with the bow held normal top side up ala Lars Anderson's way of shooting..

see if they fly straighter...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline TimBo

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 01:39:08 pm »
I don't believe you mention the arrow spine (sorry if I missed it), but if I were to guess what might shoot well out of the 78 lb centershot bow, I would think maybe 80-85 spine...a bit more than the draw weight is typical.  Non-centershot bows usually start with less than the draw weight because of the need to flex more, so for 63 lbs something like 55-60 might be better.  So, you might be off by 25 lbs of spine, which would explain why the super heavy points help.  I would keep experimenting with arrow spine for a while before messing with the bow.  You could sand a few shafts down - you will get the fastest results by sanding in the middle.  Good luck! 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 02:18:30 pm »
yes I think the braced pic may not be reflecting the real orientation of the bow when draw,,
lighter spine arrows will help,, but if the bow is shooting better off one side it will probably continue to do that with any spine arrow
I cant suggest making the cut out bigger,, I cant see from the photo if the handle would accommodate it,, but maybe file it rounder or slightly reduce where the arrow comes across,, :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 02:42:25 pm »
Is the arrow on its way silently...with barely a whisper? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 03:27:59 pm »
I made a set of test arrows. Six arrows 5# apart in spine, no fletching. They work great for this kind of problem. Start with the stiffest arrow and work your way down until the arrow goes straight. Eliminates a lot of guesswork.

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 01:48:57 am »
Paper tune, brother! I just built my first set of Red Osier Dogwood arrows, and shot them through paper today without fletching. I feel like I learned volumes about spine, arrow weight, and what side of the arrow needs to face the bow. It's incredible how much of a difference putting the arrow a few fractions of an inch further or closer to center (in my case, by switching between my new bow and old bow, one of which is nearly a center shot) will affect the spine you need to shoot.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 03:13:38 am »
You can't adjust your bow really not.
you can't shoot it upside down because the new lower limb will feel too much strain and will definitely mess up the tiller(assuming it's spot on the 'right' way up!).
Arrow spine, arrow spine, arrow spine is your problem! Low 60's bow, non centershot....I would try around 50 - 55# spine arrows with 100 - 125 gn points at 28 inches long.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 09:36:57 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

My flu flu arrows fly great!!