Author Topic: Epic Roadtrip  (Read 6928 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Epic Roadtrip
« on: April 07, 2015, 03:38:36 am »
In 3 weeks, me and the wife will be leaving on an epic roadtrip to say the least. We have 5 weeks off work, a truck/camper, and a tank full of gas.
We'll be checking out the Tennessee classic ( :D :D :D) to hopefully meet many of you, and after that, a loose route based mostly around national parks and friends places.
I know theres guys on here from every corner, so I thought id seek some advice and recommendations on some of your favorite spots.
Things we want to do!
-Not super into hanging in the big city, but if theres any must-see museums / attractions, or must-eat restaurants, we're game
-the best camp spots, places to park and sleep under the stars, cool parks off the beaten path?
-would LOVE to cut a few branches, osage, all those white woods,  anything I can't get in the PNW
-would LOVE to look for arrow heads and chert. Someone pleeeeeaaaaase take us to your spot!
I'll be bringing some things to trade too, mostly vine maple and ocean spray, but maybe a couple yew staves too.
This is the route we've chosen, other than the eastern Canada stuff not pictured.
We are extremely excited and nervous for this trip, hope to put some faces to the names soon! cheers guys Ryan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Epic Roadtrip
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:57:08 am »
WOW that is way cool ,love for me and Miss Joanie to do that some day, see ya in a few weeks.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 06:35:04 am »
Your driving right past marshall mi. Great shoot memorial weekend. I see your going though chicago, if you want to know of anything there...i know it all to well. I don't blame ya if you drive right past and don't look in your rear view mirror

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 07:27:45 am »
Your going to be south of me about 2 hours when you buzz through Michigan's southern end.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 07:50:02 am »
A few years ago I got denied access to Canada because we had some walking sticks I had just cut in Vermont. They called it firewood and turned me around after a car search. Just thought I would suggest leave your wood in the US and pick it up on the way back.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 08:15:11 am »
Love me a good road trip... Grew up in Midwest,lived in Colorado for 4 years,n currently reside in Pennsylvania. So i know the rockies,midwest,n appalchia very well. Been thru everywhere your route is taking you.

A few suggestions...

As far as Midwest there ain't much but maybe the great lakes,n some good eats...stop and get some deep dish with Pauly ;) other than that keep on driving thru the mind numbing flat farm fields ;)

As far as the rockies i see your hitting up Denver but going across the nothingness across 80 in Wyoming. I'd drop down further south and hit up moab in Utah... Arches and canyonlands are NOT to be missed and it'll be perfect weather in the desert there that time of year. And then come across 70 into Denver across the Colorado rockies. Too bad there'll be lots of snow up high yet to get up into the high country of Colorado,but there's a few cool highway passes to stop and check it out(Loveland n berthouds r right off 70) if ya like to back country ski then go hit up some killa country.

As Appalachia goes try to hit up the white mountains of new Hampshire,katahdin in Maine,Adirondacks in new York. Might be chilly up there at nights yet tho. And instead of driving boring interstate down Virginia take the blue ridge parkway starting thru Shenandoah, n all the way down at least thru all of Virginia or into the carolinas. Its a killa drive,n ya should be able to find free dispersed camping in the national forests. Then hit up some of the "southern Sixer's" areas like roan highlands,black mountains/mount mitchell(right off blue ridge parkway in north Carolina),grandfather mountain,n maybe the smokies but that place is a zoo of people and if ya wanna stay away from crowds then the other sixer areas will be better. And yes do hit up the Tennessee classic.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:30:04 am »
What?!  Not driving all the way to the Everglades in S. Florida?!  I'm hurt.

That's awesome.  I'm hoping to drive all the way out to Wyoming this summer - it looks like we will.

Look forward to seeing you in TN.  Enjoy the trip, I'm sure you will.

P.s. You could head into Ohio to Flint Ridge and quarry your own.  Might really be something to consider...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:05:24 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 10:09:57 am »
Wizardgoat that sounds like an amazing trip! I Toured the nation playing music througout my 20's. You're going to have a blast :) I'm glad you're going to come to the classic, I live a coue miles from there. I could arrange to take you on a rock run for some local rock we call "pappyite" it's tough as hell but it works and makes a nice point.

Yall drive safe, see us in a couple weeks :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:11:54 am »
I see your going thru southern Ontario, the Canadian side of Niagara Falls is the best, you can get right next to the falls. Also Blackhawk mentioned the Adirondacks in northern New York, it's a great place to camp fish and hike.
I don't know when your going to be going by my area(Buffalo N.Y.)  August 13-16 is our Traditional shoot at Hawkeye Bowmen, 4 courses set up on wooded hillsides, 75-85 targets, seminars, a band on Sat. evening and meals available and the weekend after that is the stone tool show at Letchworht state park.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
Wizard, I tried sending you a pm, but your inbox is full.

Offline mhof86

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 11:14:04 am »
Yup inbox full but we live about 25 minutes south of Ann Arbor, MI which is at US 23 and 94. If you guys want a home cooked meal and a place to stretch your legs send me a PM we would be happy to have ya.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 12:51:34 pm »
Blackhawk is correct about the Blue Ridge Parkway.  It's beautiful.  On the Southern end of the Blue Ridge is the Nantahala Forrest.  It' one of my most favorite places to visit, Kayaking, rafting, fishing.  Turkey Creek Campground is a nice quiet place to camp.  Mike and Rammel are good people.  From there you can hit 129 and cross the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles)  It's a beautiful drive.  That will take you Maryville then Knoxville where you can catch I-40 west to the Classic.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 05:28:39 pm »
While you're in southern Idaho youre going to be by me.  I'm just about 39 min. South of exit 208.  Great desert country.  The city of rocks is something to behold.  Great pizza and beer to boot, (most of the Rouge beers and more) middle of nowhere but awesome to say the least.  I'll probably go this weekend.  I'll try and post some pics.  It is one of the most beautiful places I've been.  Something very spiritual about it. 

PM me if you think you'll make it my way.  Would love to meet you guys.  Wish I could head out that way to the classic too.

Matt Kulchak

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 08:39:36 pm »
Well, if you head down to see Parnell you can stop by my place on the way. Hell, Disney is right down the road. ::) >:D If not, looking forward to meeting you at Pappy's.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 09:48:09 pm »
I see you plan to go from Billings, Mt. Thur Red Lodge to the North East entrance to Yellowstone.  The road from Red Lodge to the park has been closed.  You could go a little south Thur Belfry and Bridger to the Chief Joseph highway and on to Cook City and the North Entrance to Yellowstone.  Going over the Dead Indian Pass is one of the most beautiful roads anywhere!  That route will take you Thur the Lamar Valley and that route has little of the things to see that going Thur Cody, and into the east entrance will allow you to see!  Cody has a one of a kind museum with actually four different sections.  Buffalo Bill, Western Art, the gun arm the Indian arm.  There is a display case in the lobby of one of the clinics that has the most fantastic display of all types of stone points and blades imbedded in bones.  Looks like you will have a wonderful trip so good luck!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight