Author Topic: How do you pick the BOM?  (Read 43790 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: How do you pick the BOM?
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2008, 11:19:13 am »
Gordon jamie made that bow with a broken bottle, not sure I would classify that as simple!

Well said Chris and Justin.

Gordon and Frank your awful defensive, why is that?

I think what were trying to accomplish here is to make folks look a bit closer at the other bows before voting.
How many of you take the time to open each and every link and examine the bow before voting.
Too many times I see someone post a bow and right away someone pipes up and says "its got my vote"
and the month is just starting. Well I'm done with this if I've stepped on any toes, so be it. My final word is
think for yourself folks and make your own decision don't just follow the pack or vote for a bow because he's your friend
be honest with yourself and show respect to all the rest of us by keeping an open mind.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2008, 11:51:25 am »
Dana, I'm just pointing out that simple well-made bows do actually garner votes on this site contrary to an assertion that was made earlier.
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2008, 01:10:11 pm »
Man this always goes there,I like eye candy,I like simple plane bows,I just like wooden bows
all of them. :) :) Now that I think of it I like backed bows also even tho I don't do them,as long
as it don't have wheels to dress it up I like it. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2008, 01:47:52 pm »
Man this always goes there,I like eye candy,I like simple plane bows,I just like wooden bows
all of them. :) :) Now that I think of it I like backed bows also even tho I don't do them,as long
as it don't have wheels to dress it up I like it. ;) :)
   Pappy
Pappy, so what you are saying is its OK to dress her up just as long as its a her not a cross dresser.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2008, 02:04:26 pm »
That's right justin. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2008, 02:05:47 pm »
i stand corrected!!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2008, 08:00:15 pm »

Gordon and Frank your awful defensive, why is that?

i don't know of any defence i made!!!!!!!!
can't find one that gordon made either!!!

i was trying to point out, that a good clear picture might be of help when it comes to BOM, and YOU, dana, jumped on me like crazy! i could not really see what could possibly be misunderstood in my post, but hey: may be i missed something, so i asked YOUR apology and took it back, you apologized to me right away, too, giving some rather strange explanations why you came across that harsh! - man, you still blow the same horn ever since!

it is not enough that i keep repeating that i didn't mean to offend anybody and nor does it help telling how great i think mechslasher's bow is, since unfortunately i mentioned his pic of the Grumley nock, that is so awfully out of focus! -  dang, i could have named  other similar examples as well but his bow was one of my favourits, along with ryan's (very dressed up with nice pictures, showing he's proud of what he did) and greg's (very plain with nice pictures showing the same)  and gordon's (heck he deserved the win just for sharing his knowledge in this beautiful build-along!!!)
and also, dana, how do you know on what base i or anyone vote?? i don't even HAVE to look through the list since i have looked through each and every thread before it comes to BOM many times and saved many pictures to my computer. but i do go through the entire list anyway, since i want to make sure i have seen them all. i have a picturefile of almost everyone posting here because these pictures contain information. that's what i came her for in the first place; that's why i try to give something back by posting nice photos!

well, gussied up (ain't that supposed to be spellend with a 'p' ?) laminated bows are evident in europe since the late medieval.

laminated bamboo bows with curves worth the shiniest magazines we all oh so (seem to) like (the curves, of coarse , ...not the magazines) where a main weapon of the samurai worriers over 1000 years ago. these bows where pieces of art in any aspect!
2007 BOY winner chris glauben's double-curved bow was made using the same limb cross-section as well as the same (rope and wedges-) gluing technique (i use the same technique on all my laminated bows, too) chris' is a nice bow, not gussied at all; if you find the time, go have a look!

laminated hornbows, highly gussied (love that word, it's new for me! what's it mean??) with finest goatskin, painted and gold-plated are know from tutenchamun's tomb; that is more then 4000 years ago.

the laminated bow of the sami people of northern eurasia, made from compression pine and birch may go back far beyond that, whereas the oldest pictures of so-called characterbows - and i'm sure it is not enough to confirm that i really LOVE the many bows of that kind that i have seen on PA made by master bowyers such as northshore, pappy and gordon just to name a few) that i'm familiar with are from the early 20th century (yeah, 100 miles short way 100 years long time, heard it before, thanks).
in fact a swiss-found half-finished yew bow of the bodman type is considered by archaeologists to be purposely broken by the bowyer when he found an unexpected knot in the stave in the making process!
and, as gordon pointed out already: if you are out to collect points on BOM, the character bow sure is the way to go! ...and again it's most likely not enough for me to say that i KNOW it's probably also the hardest way!

i came up with that laminated purple heart bow with the fancy handle and tips on the very end of january; i really like the bow, but i did not think this girl's bow would have a chance against gordon's bow or even uwe's since we all know how much we are into curves over here (see above); that's why i voted for my own bow - together with the later owner's vote, that would make two...i thought!
yesterday on my drive home i had decided to change my vote for gordon's if it was still a tie when i get home because he had told me that he had voted for mine! but somebody else had changed mind and took back a vote from my bow, so gordon won! perfect!

i have respect for all of you bowyers making bows and posting them here, sharing knowledge and asking questions, but gentleman, what we discuss her is BOM, not brain surgery...

take this as the words from a german man, thank you,

frank (medicinewheel)

ps: mechslasher: i only know of original Grumley nocks carved out of the stave, never knew he had laminated these, too! but hey who am i to know 'bout that with my not even 4 years of archery experience over here in germany! i'm sure you will be so kind to update me and post a picture, right!?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 05:24:21 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2008, 09:54:33 pm »
  You know what, It still comes down to everybody is still going to vote the way they feel is right for them. Whether it is for a friend, glitter, hunting bow , or something that is just unique. These kind of threads, survey's or whatever , keep coming up and they get so, oh, boring. Just check out the "what do you think is primitive", thread, when the lawyer got involved. All this does is just get everybody in a pissin' contest , and doesn't settle anything since everybody has their own opinion.

Just a suggestion, but, maybe somebody should go on the Anything Else section and give tips on posting good pictures. Maybe , J.D., since he posted such nice pictures way back in December.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2008, 10:20:36 pm »
That JD, he sure does take a nice picture. I would appreciate any tips he'd be willing to throw our way.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2008, 10:29:53 pm »
technical difficulty and tiller, i feel, should take precedent over finish or else like marc said it's "eye candy".  i hate to say but after reading all the voting criterias, i feel as if this primitive archery site is heading the way of the fiberglas mentality of other websites. where flashy finishes and contrasting woods capture everyone's attention.  don't get me wrong, i sometimes like eye candy but let us not lose track of what this website and magazine is about and that is PRIMITIVE ARCHERY.  what's next, people tillering limbs with belt sanders, cutting grips with a cnc machine, and spraying on finishes with a automotive paint sprayers?
I could not have said it any better....I think a Bow should be judged by the Tiller....Design....and of course the fact that these are supposed to be Primitive Bows that people would have staked their lives on 200 years ago....not the Showy little Bows that they sell in the I-40 Cherokee Trading Posts....and call them Authentic...heck I cant even stand a Arrow Rest!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2008, 11:14:29 pm »
At the risk of starting (or prolonging) an argument let me point out that humans have been decorating their weapons for thousands of years – spears, knives, shields, war clubs, bows, armor, guns, cannons and even fighter planes. I absolutely concur that an attractive veneer is no substitute for sound design and function, but it doesn’t have to detract either. And in many cases it can even enhance. Remember the Flying Tigers – I’m sure many an enemy turned cold at the sight of those fearsome jaws bearing down on them.

There are many here who obviously espouse a contrarian view and that’s cool – feel free to favor any utilitarian stick that tickles your fancy. And there is a certain and undeniable elegance to a simple, but well executed design.

But I like mine just a little naughty and attractive – after all I’m just a guy.  ;D
Gordon

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2008, 11:35:11 pm »
medicine, i hope i didn't give the impression i was offended.  i've been teaching in the public school system here in south carolina for over 12 years, i don't think it's possible for me to become offended any longer.  but to help educate our european friends here is a pic of some late 40's deerslayers.  enjoy!

http://www.archerycollecting.com/FeatureArticles/Bear_Archery_Bows.htm

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:56:18 am by Mechslasher »
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2008, 01:24:56 am »
You know what, It still comes down to everybody is still going to vote the way they feel is right for them. Whether it is for a friend, glitter, hunting bow , or something that is just unique.

Your right Eddie. I know I used to get all wrapped up in this contest. I don't really care who wins anymore or if anyone votes for me, or my bows anymore. Its just a stupid contest.  :P Seriously I'm over it!  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2008, 07:25:11 am »
I said at the beginning,get out the pop corn. dang I was right. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2008, 07:45:28 am »
Ya and I said I was gonna sit with ya Pappy and watch the show, instead I guess I became the show eh ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI