Author Topic: Tradition: One Two Eight Roost for season opener. Chapter Three added!  (Read 9647 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: Tradition: One Two Eight Roost for season opener.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 09:51:15 am »
Great writing jw

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Tradition: One Two Eight Roost for season opener. NOW Chapter Two!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 07:25:16 pm »
Chapter Two: Wherein John Re-Learns Some Very Hard Lessons.

Last night about 10:30 I decide it is time to work the roost again.  Before turning in, I looked the gear over and decided to skip the historical accuracy of period clothes and opted for the old fashioned treebark camo jumpsuit and a Mega-fanny pack to carry calls and gear. Never having blooded this flintlock smoothbore, still being loaded from the other day, I decided I would carry that. But not the full shooting bag and powder horn.  I intended to have the bird all but physically in contact with my person before pulling the trigger, so one shot should do it.  No need to carry extra gear, right?  Right!  I set the alarm on my phone and turned the sound down as low as it would go.

I was up and making coffee at 4:15. Lena, my near constant companion rez dog from Pine Ridge was up with me and faithfully keeping her food dish company in the kitchen.  "Sorry, kiddo, breakfast when I come back. Go back to bed!"  She stood, stretched, yawned the most melodramatic and operatic way and headed off to occupy the warm spot I left on the mattress.

I took the longer and easier way up to One Two Eight since the moon was low on the eastern horizon and not lighting my way.  I found out yet ANOTHER reason why pre-season scouting is important...the deer trail I know by heart had a several major blowdowns blocking it and I had to fumble through a Marine Corps agility course with fear knowing that at any minute I could encounter a random broken branch with an eye socket!  Call it this day's Mistake Number One.

I decided to sit back from the roost a little further and a bit higher up the hill.  Not my normal technique, this left a long field of view for the birds to pick me out as they would approach, but I had an old dead tree laying down at my back and several branches breaking up my profile.  This way, I could pick and choose amongst the toms to try taking the biggest!  I was settled in at 5:11, sunrise today would be at 6:11 and legal shooting time is 30 minutes before sunrise.  That gave me a good 30 minutes to rest and relax, listening to the wind blow through the pines carrying the smell of woodsmoke from the forest fire down at Wind Cave National Park.  I set out the box call I won my first year at the Tennessee Classic, tattoo dave's slate, and the custom suction call I had just finished for iowabow.  My intent was to use none of them until the birds were actually flying down from the trees, lessening the chance that they would spot something "off" or suspicious from their perches high in the starry night.

As usual, the birds across the canyon, across the road, over on private land lit up first.  A single gobble split the night like a crack of rifle fire!  It was 5:24, right on time.  Hens chimed in, more gobbles, some jakes trying out their new pipes and seemingly choking on their sad little attempts at gobbling.  My spot in the deep pine duff was comfy.  One branch of the dead pine lying on the ground cradled my head at just the right angle.  It was a sweet morning until the thought came to me that I needed to prime the pan on my flintlock.  It was loaded and would remain so until it was fired or I drew the charge.  But for safety, I had cleared the priming from the pan before I left the woods the other morning.  And there in my mind's eye was the picture of my shooting pouch and powderhorn sitting side by side on my recliner.  Right where I left them.  No charger full of FFFFg, not even a FFg shot right from the main horn.  No, nothing at all.  My fancy wood, steel, iron, and brass construct was as useful as a golf club at a tennis court.  Call it Mistake Number Two for the day. 

"All in stride, son, all in stride." I told myself. We will just talk a little with the birds when they come down off the roost and get to know them as they work the strut zone.  It would be nice to just spend the time with these birds and not be bent on working them for all I am worth in order to shoot.  No, this is going to be a nice morning of just talking to the birdies.  But as the sun was coming up and it was closing in on legal shooting time, there was still no sound from my side of the road.  I could not plainly see the roost trees, so I could not confirm nor deny the presence of birds.  Things across the road, however, had reached a fever pitch!  Birds were double gobbling, hens were cackling and pitting.  It was quite the party over there prior to pitching down.  On my side, dead silence. 

Knowing I am not the only person to hunt this area, I assumed that someone had hit this roost over the weekend and they had all moved to private land across the canyon and road.  So be it.  It has happened before.  I sat up and loaded all the various gear back into my multipocketed fanny pack and cinched it up.  I stood up, stretched, and pulled off the camo mask and stocking cap.  I had birds on the wrong side of the road here last year and pulled them across.  Maybe I could repeat the performance, in effect loading this roost site for tomorrow morning's hunt! I walked down the hill and right past the roost trees in order to better line up with the flock across the road.

I pulled out the slate and began to give some easy tree yelps as an introduction to the flock.  Hens answered and the gobblers were bawling like bulls getting cut for oxen!  I upped my ante and cackled a little before adding a series of warmed up yelps.  The flock across the road was responding nicely, so I pulled iowabow's new suction call out and gave a few more yelps of encouragement.  It must have sounded good because it drew gobbles from the unoccupied roost!!!

Call that one Mistake Number Three.  I had prejudged the situation before all the facts were in, too confidant in my own experience.  Rather than making the situation worse by continuing to call while the birds on the One Two Eight roost had me made, I simply folded the hand I had dealt myself and slipped quietly into the trees, down the hillside to the hiway.  I made it to my Jeep in a few short minutes and was back home making breakfast for myself and Lena before 6:30 a.m.

Recap: 1) Scout pre-season, even if it is just to kick branches and pine cones off your insertion and/or extraction route. No sense trying to maneuver a minefield and risk alerting the flock, or worse yet, injuring yourself.
2) Always walk yourself thru the entire gear checklist EVERY time.  It's the littlest things that can trip you up.
3)Just cuz you didn't hear a bird does not mean there ain't a bird.  Boy howdy.

Ok, so I pitched a bad game. I made a lot of errors and gave up far too many runs.  I don't know why I am using a football analogy, I never watch football. But tomorrow is another game.  At least I did not continue my errors so long that I educated the birds TOO much.  The woman that first taught me basics in raptor handling told me that every time you step within the sight of that hawk/falcon/owl/eagle/whatever, someone learns something.  The bird definitely learns something about you, but YOU need to make sure you learn something too, rather than waste the opportunity.

I guess I will chalk this one up as "no harm, no fowl".

you see what I did there?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 12:30:11 am »
Great writing jw love the story and wow a hand made and tested call sounds like a great gift. BTW I lost my call last year just before turkey season.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 05:02:35 am »
Better luck today Jdub ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 06:39:30 am »
  You only had one call I'll send you a few.

SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT JW
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 07:18:00 am »
Reminds me of the time I went to the club to try out my latest bow...
I had all my gear... except the string >:(
Great story
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 07:41:15 am »
Ok, so I pitched a bad game. I made a lot of errors and gave up far too many runs.  I don't know why I am using a football analogy, I never watch football.

Haaa haa ha!!  Love it.  Good stories Jdub.  Did you cushion your falls with your face in chapter two?
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 09:32:14 am »
I got to the woods one time with my trusty .54 and realized it's ramrod was still sitting on my work bench in the shop where I loaded my rifle for a days hunting. I had one load in the gun but no chance of a follow up shot. Fortunately no shot presented its self.

Another time (actually twice) I drove 50 miles to the range and forgot my range rod and cleaning jag. This meant I could only shoot until my flinter sooted up and became impossible to load, usually 10 shots or less, at which point I was done. I started keeping a range rod under the back seat of my truck to avoid future embarrassment.

A good friend and one of the top BP competitors in the country, drove 180 miles to the state championship and realized he had left all his range rods and cleaning stuff at home. A 340 mile round trip that afternoon was needed to have him ready to compete the next day.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 09:29:04 pm »
CHAPTER THREE: Where John Finds nothing On The Roost, and Goes to Plan B!

No birds on One Two Eight Roost this morning, but I used my GPS to put a marker on position of the birds across the hiway..  When I opened up the view on the GPS, I realized their position was NOT UNASSAILABLE!  Their citadel could be flanked, their defenses crushed, their very lives brought into question!  BWAHAHAHA!

Iowabow and MoccasinMan Kyle might know the other side of this ridge as Lost Box Call Valley, since that is where I lost a great box call last year working a pair of very mature tom gobblers.  I had strongly suspected that this was the case.  I just needed to get myself a mere quarter mile west of my current position.  Easy enough to do, just a four mile drive and a one mile hike!!!

Sure enough, I could get up closer to them, still on public land, and I could talk to them.  The gobblers were pretty wrapped up in their hens, and I suspect the landowner at the top of the ridge feeds them.  These birds are loathe to come down off that ridge!  But after an hour of very sproradic calling, I got a strike from the south of my position!  A lusty gobble, clear as digital stereo surround sound!

I packed up and headed down a finger draw and clawed my way up a 70 degree slope to top out in some doghair pine. Four ft tall pines, as many as a dozen per square yard, thick as hair on a dog's back....doghair pine.  I weaseled my way thru and discovered a logging trail just as Ol' Lusty Tom bellowed his intentions to have his way with anything half warm!  He had to be under 60 yards and right down the road! We talked back and forth for a good 20 minutes when I decided to up the ante.  I dashed to the other side of the road and worked in another 20 yds.  I had a better set-up where I was in the shade of trees.  He had only to come down the road a little and he would be completely in range before he saw me.  I opened with a whining feeding call and some scratching on the ground.  He answered handsomely and immediately.  I followed with cackles and some hard yelps. 

A hen started pitting and putting.  I responded in kind, hoping to push her buttons.  Each exchange between escalated like two over indulged entitled broads haggling over who saw the shoes first at a Macy's sale! This was getting fun!  I threw trump down and started cutting and cackling, interrupting her every syllable!  What the heck, I had remembered to bring the charger and the pan was primed and the stone in the lock was knapped good-n-sharp! Wasn't long before a fight broke out and you could hear wings slapping and body kicks! 

I knew I was close!  I shoulda fixed bayonnet and charged! Tur-kebabs, anyone?

Feeling pretty proud of myself, I threw everything into calling these birds, tattoo dave's slate, iowabow's new custom suction call, the Classic box call from Tennessee (man, I wish I could remember the name of the guy that makes them!), and even my purpleheart Heartbreaker box call!  And then the hens patched things up and herded the gobbler over the ridge and off into the National Forest at a pace I could never have kept up.  Ol' Tom was plaintively calling me, begging me to rescue him from those wicked sisters he had the bad luck to get roped up with.  Poor feller, I almost feel sorry for him.  Those two battleaxes are gonna breed him down to a nubbin of his former self. 

I packed it in and headed for town.  I had some poults to see. 

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:46:25 pm by JW_Halverson »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 09:33:16 pm »

30 minutes after leaving the turkey woods, I was talking with pre-schoolers about cryptic coloration, how owls hunt, and what the difference between real owls and pretend owls that talk in movies. 

One kid asked if I was a hunter, too, because I wore camo.  Why yes, I am! I was talking to turkeys this morning!  Before I left, the children could do a passable imitation of the five note great horned call and several of those kids could yelp like a boss hen!

Some days are just pure gold, just plain pure gold.

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tradition: One Two Eight Roost for season opener. Chapter Three added!
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 03:10:26 am »
Great story telling JW, brought a big smile to my face over breakfast... I could picture myself tryin' to get through those dog hair pine.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 08:23:44 am »
JW, Thanks for sharing your experiences.  You have now made it so I am completely useless at work.  All I can think about is sneaking through the pines as loud thundering gobblers fire off. 

I still have 2 days of work to get through before I take my son out and then my season starts next Monday.  Looks like 2 more days of day dreaming. 

Looking forward to your next chapter.

Mike

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 09:47:52 am »
It has rained here almost every day for the last two weeks. I don't take my flint fowler out in the rain to chase turkeys. The forecast for the next week; rain every day.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 10:19:33 am »
  JW awesome owl, some indain tribles concedered owls have great powers. HUNTERS OF THE NIGHT. One of my tatoo's has a bared owl  in it. There's no better sound that a barred owl laughing. If you've never heard barded owls laughing you got to here one. If you do you'll never foreget it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Stringman

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 10:52:15 am »
Agree 100% with that crooked. Had a couple outside my window for the last month and that his been some good sleeping!