Author Topic: Tradition: One Two Eight Roost for season opener. Chapter Three added!  (Read 9648 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Tradition: One Two Eight Roost for season opener. Chapter Three added!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 04:58:46 pm »
  JW awesome owl, some indain tribles concedered owls have great powers. HUNTERS OF THE NIGHT. One of my tatoo's has a bared owl  in it. There's no better sound that a barred owl laughing. If you've never heard barded owls laughing you got to here one. If you do you'll never foreget it.

No barred owls in the Black Hills.  No turkey here has ever heard a real barred owl in their lives, but they will shock gobble at even the poorest imitation of a barred owl! 

I worked with one at Reptile Gardens years ago. Her name was Steinie, and now lives at the World Bird Sanctuary near St Louis.  I learned to hoot from her.  Years later, at the Tennessee Classic, one was hooting in camp and I answered her.  She and I talked back and forth until she flew in and perched atop the bowmaking sheds to get a better look at me.  I swear to all things holy that the look on her face said, "Son, that nawthun accent is atrocious!"
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marks

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 05:49:42 pm »
Here in North Alabama we call em hoot owls. I enjoy talking to the owls as much as the turkeys some days. When you get 2 or 3 hooting and laughing at once the woods get loud. I bet it would make a city boy mess his britches at night.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 10:14:24 pm »
Google some audio files for eastern screech owls and barn owls.  Real creep show stuff. 

I took the last few days off from hunting to get stuff done around the house.  I am taking my boss and his two sons out tomorrow morning.  These twin 14 yr old boys are great kids and have not had a lot of "hardcore" outdoors experience yet.  Lets hope we can make some excitement!!!

I wish more guys would take a little time and write about their experiences in the woods.  I love hearing people talk about their hunts, why not take the time and peck it out on the keyboard for us???

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2015, 09:37:33 am »
Here is one;

I went turkey hunting yesterday afternoon, I could hear the same gobbler I encountered on the last trip hammering on the adjacent property. I settled into my log blind and started calling. The gobbler would come down the hollow across the fence and get pretty close then go back up the hollow away from me.

I decided to wait him out until dark, calling every now and then to see if he would come in.

Abut 3:30 I heard some light "peeps" coming from my right down the ridge. At first I thought it was a hen but it didn't sound right. This turkey was up the ridge, down in the hollow in a zig-zag pattern but getting closer with every zig. I finally saw it easing up to the logging road in front of me and could tell it was a jake.  I was going to shoot it as I am not trophy hunting when I have my flintlock.

The  bird was about 30 yards away, I couldn't see his head and expected him to walk the logging road toward my decoy. I was hunting big, open woods. He stepped out in the road, I could have shot but he was walking and more than 30 yards away which I felt was a little far for my flinter. I let him go. He peeped his way across the road, up the ridge and out of sight. It took him about 10 minutes to finally get out of view. I couldn't lure him in that last 5 yards I needed to be sure of my shot.

Then there was big boy hammering behind me; After about two hours I heard a gobble closer, directly behind me, then another and another. He was going to my left, the fence line was 20 yards away, I had to let him come through the fence before I could have him on our land for a shot.

I hit the dirt in my log blind, gun cocked, and only my gun barrel and eyeballs peeking over the logs in the direction I knew he would appear. Silence, my legs were getting cramped, still no turkey, then.......... he gobbled, dang, right behind me. I was facing left, he looped around and came in to my right at no more than 15 yards. I swung around to my right but he caught me and hauled butt over the rise and out of my life. I never saw him because he skedaddled when I tried to turn in his direction.

He had a hen with him that scattered when he did, but she came back, I called her right up to me. She hung around for a while making some really loud "lost hen" calls, she was trying to get the gobbler to come back but he was long gone.

A fun afternoon but no cigar.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:05:00 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Marks

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 10:12:24 am »
Wish I had a story to peck. Its been a weird year on our property and about the worst season I recall. 3 weekends in and I've heard 1 bird. I got too close and bumped the hens I didn't know were with him. I don't know if we just don't have many on our place this year or if they just have lock jaw. Last year I killed 3 and my brother killed 2 and I let 2 jakes walk. 4 of the birds killed were in the same spot. You can't win em all I guess. Eric I'm glad to here someone around this area is hearing birds.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 10:47:18 pm »
Need an update dub looking for the next chapter ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2015, 11:44:27 pm »
Been treating myself to Egyptian cotton sheets and good Sumatran coffee late in the morning when I do finally get up!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2015, 12:42:55 am »
Been treating myself to Egyptian cotton sheets and good Sumatran coffee late in the morning when I do finally get up!

My image of you is now shattered.  I thought your were an outdoorsman above all outdoorsmen.  Now I find out your nothing but an Egyptian cotton sheet soaker, with late on the side.  Those turkey aren't going to kill themselves, and if they do, who'll eat them, make calls from their wing and fletching from their feathers.  You owes to those noble birds, to not die in vain.  Rise, kill and eat.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 07:11:57 pm »
Oh little Hedgey, Hedgey! You expose your ignorance of turkey truths, sadly.  Everyone knows in midseason the gobblers are henned up tight as a bull's butt in fly season as the sun comes up.  In early season before the hens are receptive to breeding, he is ready to go but she's not.  Hence, good times at sunrise.  Midmorning is better, after the hens move off to lay an egg or set the nest.  For now, I am content to rest up and ready myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Besides, in a few weeks, soy, iowabow, Primitive Tim, and some others are coming out to hit it and hit it like a champ! 

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2015, 09:53:33 pm »
Yeah don't shoot m!!! Wanna tackle one >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...