Author Topic: Pheasant feather backing application  (Read 22655 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Pheasant feather backing application
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 10:18:47 am »
Thanks Bill.  I remember you posting that, but I couldn't remember if you used poly or an epoxy type finish.  Either way your experience was the cause of my concern.  Hopefully, I can get back to work on this tomorrow.  I'm running out of time to get this to Pappy in time for the classic.  My boss seems to think that this work business has priority.  What a crazy notion that is!  Lol!  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:07 pm »
I managed to get the feather backing sealed with tru-oil.  It took 4 repetitions of 6 coats, let cure, then steel wool.  I then trimmed the edges using a sharp fine cut rasp, cutting from back to belly.  Once that was done, I sanded the rest of the bow in preparation for finish.  I applied several thin coats of tru-oil to seal the entire bow and left it to cure hard overnight.  I only had a couple hours at home last night so regrettably I neglected to take pics of that process. The first pics are where it was left off with.  Next I taped off a thin line down the edge of the backing to outline it in black.  Using a sharpie I outline the feathers and do the lettering.  Now I will give the sharpie ink a day to fully dry so that the tru-oil doesn't smear it so easy.  That's it for tonight. Thanks for following along so far!  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 11:37:11 pm »
She look mighty sharp, Josh.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 10:15:04 am »
Thanks Pat!  Josh

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 01:24:32 pm »
Cant wait to put some tickets in for that.
Steve Bennett

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 03:58:15 pm »
I'm glad to hear it Steve!  I was hoping it was gonna draw at least a ticket or two.  Lol!  Josh

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 09:33:43 pm »
Just found this post, that sucker's looking sweet Josh and man have you got patience. I'll be damned, now I'm gonna have to bring even more dollars for the raffle to get a chance at that bow too. ;)  Sorry your not gonna be at the classic this year, will miss seeing you there.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 08:14:39 pm »
Thanks Greg.  I hope you aren't too disappointed when you see it up close. The Kenebego is not the most ideal place for finish work. :-[  I've got it finished as good as its going to get, but it's not perfect by any means.  As far as the build a long goes it's done.  All that is left is to wrap the handle and serve the string.  Thanks for following along!  I'll post it in the bow section when its all done.  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 11:05:25 pm »
Beautiful and unique, Josh. Very cool.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 11:32:33 pm »
Thanks Pat!  I've been racking my brain trying to think up an innovative and attractive handle wrap for this bow for a month.  Lots of ideas, but none that seemed to fit this bow.  I decided to use a scrap of elk hide with some deer hide lacing in a simple tried and true style wrap.  I think it fits.  Josh

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 02:13:44 pm »
Sweeeet
I gota find some money to get in on this one for sure !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Josh B

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 05:26:49 pm »
Thanks Guy!  Good luck!  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 08:15:10 pm »
Josh, the simple leather handle wrap is perfect. It compliments the bow well but doesn't detract from its beauty.  ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2015, 09:06:21 am »
Thanks Pat!  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 12:59:25 pm »
Well...as it turns out, mother nature made a liar out of me.  It has been raining nonstop since last night so no photo shoot and that means no thread for the bow section.  If anybody wants to see more of it, you'll just have to go to the classic and see it in person.  While you're looking, you just well buy a ticket and drop it in the can for a chance to win it.  Thanks again everyone!  Josh