Author Topic: Pheasant feather backing application  (Read 22619 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pheasant feather backing application
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 03:10:39 pm »
We'll surely miss you this year Josh.   :(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 08:29:49 am »
I appreciate the sentiment Pat.  I'll be there in spirit only this year, but next year will be a different story.  If the post office doesn't drop the ball, the bow should arrive at Pappy's this afternoon.  The piece of wood is an offcut from the hhb stave that turtle and otter gave to Del at last years classic.  I thought it only fitting that it end up being made into something to help support the classic this year.   I know it won't compete with that fine set you made Pat, but hopefully it will at least bring enough to cover the beer and food I consumed when I last visited twin oaks!  Lol!  Have fun folks!  Josh

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 12:27:56 pm »
Turned out real nice Josh.  By the way, in the picture of the front profile I noticed you could probably use a little air in that tire, it's a little low.... ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 11:49:07 am »
Turned out real nice Josh.  By the way, in the picture of the front profile I noticed you could probably use a little air in that tire, it's a little low.... ;)

Thanks Aaron and don't worry bout the tire.  It's only flat on the bottom!  Lol! 
According to USPS the bow made it to it's destination yesterday....hopefully intact. :-\   Despite the single cheek finish work, the bow shoots great in my humble opinion.  So don't let the flaws in the finish hold you back from dropping a ticket in the can for it.  It'll serve you well and it don't look to bad from 5 paces.  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 09:17:32 pm »
Here is the lucky winner of the bow.  Great work on it Josh.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2015, 08:10:09 pm »
Thanks Clint!  I feel bad about asking this, but does anybody know this fella's name?  I know I've met him, but I'm terrible with names. :-[  Anyway, I hope the bow serves him well!  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2015, 09:20:25 pm »
Didn't catch his name but he is wearing a KTBA shirt.  He told me where he lived in KY but I forgot.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 06:59:20 pm »
Kind of an old thread, but I recently scored some pheasant tail feathers from my cousin. I wanted to do one feather coming out of the handle wrap on each limb. Would the TBIII still work but use it more sparingly as to not have it show around the edges of the feathers? I plan on doing a shellac and tru oil finish. Thanks.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 10:00:23 am »
Yep, it should still work.  Remember to shave down the underside of the quill so it will lay flat.  It would probably be a good idea to clean the natural oils of the feathers as well.  I think the oils are what were causing me grief.  As far as the TBIII goes, I wouldn't worry about using too much. Once you get your feather positioned, you can clean up any excess with a warm wet cloth as long as you don't let the glue set.  Josh

Offline Stoner

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 09:25:17 pm »
That was something I thought about along time ago but did not know where to start. Now I'm sick about all the feathers that got plucked into the wind. Thanks for sharing & great craftsmanship. John

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2015, 11:04:58 am »
Beautiful!  I guess I missed this originally.   Now I know what I can do with all the pheasant feathers I've been hoarding. 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Josh B

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2015, 07:23:25 pm »
Thank you kindly fellas!  Hobow if you do one up I'd sure like to see it.  Josh

Offline Stoner

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2016, 11:01:47 pm »
I just re-read this thread and there was a thought on a different finish than truoil. I do use truoil on most of my selfbows, but I have had good luck with Minwax wipe-on poly. I know it dries clear without the amber color & I would use the satin finish. Just my two cents. John