Author Topic: Super glue  (Read 5312 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Super glue
« on: April 15, 2015, 02:58:17 pm »
I've got a mulberry bow I've been working on for 2 years and finally finishing it up.  Its got a lot of pin knots, but they're small and unviolated.  Would it help to put a little thin ca glue on them?  Any ill effects?

Offline Will H

Re: Super glue
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 02:59:25 pm »
Super glue is your friend
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 03:20:55 pm »
Super glue is your friend

Amen to that Brother Will.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 04:02:46 pm »
Amen x2! I put super glue on all knots on a back and even some on the belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 04:28:11 pm »
If you can see'em, soak'em.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 04:36:29 pm »
I agree.  Just don't use gorilla super glue I just learned that again for the second time.  I tried to soak some thread accents and ey turned milky >:(.  Locktite or Jet is the best.   The nice thing about Jet is they have three different vescosities. 

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 05:10:45 pm »
I don't know what I would do with out superglue building bows and arrows....but there is one superglue that stands out better than any other.
PEARL DRUMS what is that glue again??? :-\ :-\
DBar 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:03:59 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 06:54:27 pm »
Hmm I've always had good luck with gorilla brand.  I use it to piece together mosaic scales for knives.  Regardless, I'm using a different brand, super thin.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:13:18 pm »
I've always used krazy  glue. Is there one that's better that I should pick up next time? Krazy glue always seems to work great.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 09:00:10 pm »
Locktite 420, although expensive, sure can fix a myriad of problems.....pretty amazing glue.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 09:26:40 pm »

[/quot
I don't know what I would do with out superglue building bows and arrows....but there is one superglue that stands out better than any other.
PEARL DRUMS what is that glue again??? :-\ :-\
DBar 

That'd be loc tite professional my friend!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 10:26:21 pm »
That loctite professional is hard for me to find locally anymore, but did find some at the Michael's chain of craft stores. Tite Chairs from ace hardware is pricey but it is a super thin formula that works great for filling cracks. 

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 10:27:12 pm »
Loctite 420 is an exceptionally fantastic choice of product and not all that expensive if you bide your time. I picked up my last 2 batches on the big auction site for $9.99. Free shipping on the last 2 and $5 shipping on the prior.  Expiration date 8/15.  I keep my open bottle in the fridge and the remainder in the freezer.  Frozen temps will keep the product viable for a long long time. Always refrigerate even if you think you will use it before expiration date.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 11:57:25 pm »
I agree.  Just don't use gorilla super glue I just learned that again for the second time.  I tried to soak some thread accents and ey turned milky >:(.  Locktite or Jet is the best.   The nice thing about Jet is they have three different vescosities.

Accelerator or water will sometimes turn CA white.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 08:13:48 am »
Don't last long enough around my shop Fred to worry about refrigerating. I use an industrial strength super glue I get from one of my suppliers at work, called Lock down from Atco international. It is thin and works really well filling cracks and soaking pins and such. Not cheap but Great stuff , we use a lot of it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good