Author Topic: heat treatment on laminated bow is a fool choice  (Read 5100 times)

Offline leehongyi

heat treatment on laminated bow is a fool choice
« on: April 16, 2015, 01:33:30 am »
i built a 140lb boo backed Bubinga several days ago. the glue i used was titebond iii. yestoday i felt it was some more bent than original so i used a heatgun to treat it. after 1h's work it came back to ideal straight with brown appearance and some bbq smell. but when i strung it i found that the bamboo strip and wood were delaminated! the titebond melted when i heat it. what a fool choice to heat treat a laminated bow!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: heat treatment on laminated bow is a fool choice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:30:14 am »
Yeah, we all make mistakes, but we are man enough to confess to help others from doing the same. :)
I wasted a lot of time trying to heat straighten a bamboo backed Yew, the glue survived, but the bend returned after a week or so.
I ended up sawing it in half and making a take down.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:29:15 am »
Yeah, we all make mistakes, but we are man enough to confess to help others from doing the same. :)
I wasted a lot of time trying to heat straighten a bamboo backed Yew, the glue survived, but the bend returned after a week or so.
Del

what glue can resist the heat?

Offline Ian.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 08:26:24 am »
Heat treat the belly before you glue it to the bow, no glue is going to resist the temperature that you should get if you heat treat properly.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:39:18 am »
Heat treat the belly before you glue it to the bow, no glue is going to resist the temperature that you should get if you heat treat properly.
Probably not strictly true. Epoxies and other adhesives are available that resist 600 degrees F.
 We just don't tend to go looking for them but they are out there.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 10:05:37 am »
Del

what glue can resist the heat?
I used resintite, but I was careful to clamp thin slats to the side of the bow to keep the heat away from the glue line and was very careful with the heat. I wouldn't recommend it, I heat treat the wood before glue up if I want it heat treated.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:42:05 am »
That's actually the biggest reason that I never use titebond 3. It is extremely heat sensitive. It never really dries hard, but stays somewhat flexible, and even in hot summer days, the heat and humidity is enough that it can cause separations. That's why I went to resorcinol. Never had a problem since - I haven't tried heat treating a resorcinol bow, but the glue is intended for industrial strength applications, so I can't help but think that it would fare better.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 11:20:46 pm »
All TiteBond glues release at 150deg(F).    You can clean up the glue surfaces and re-glue the bow with a little reflex added.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 03:00:39 am »
Smooth on will resist over 100 deg. If cured properly.