Author Topic: heavy trade points  (Read 2910 times)

Offline steve b.

heavy trade points
« on: April 17, 2015, 12:00:41 am »
I did a trade last year and got a bunch of these heavy (300+ grns) trade points.  I mounted them on 90 lbs. fir shafts and then pinned/peened a brash rod through to help hold them. 
I didn't have enough of the heavy shafts to really experiment with how strong the bond between point and shaft because these were going to be my hunting arrows and so I babied them through the season, hoping that if they hit bone they would hold up.  I never found out.

Today I missed my target and literally hit the broad side of a barn.  The steel siding is pretty thick and I hit it at a good angle.  Not only did I get good penetration from a 45 lbs. bow but point and shaft stayed together.   Lucky maybe,  but I was impressed.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: heavy trade points
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:10:58 am »
That should do the job. I think I'd wrap behind the point. Even with the brass pin the shaft could split behind the point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:45:34 pm »
You are right Pat, but I'm going to use my nifty nocker to instead put a hardwood slice in there.  I want to stay away from sinew on the outside, for penetration reasons, for elk.  I'm moving to Oceanspray shafts this year too, so splitting is a non issue.  OS can be shot into rocks with no ill affects. 

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 11:56:26 pm »
Yeah, I think that should work!  Those are good looking points.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 08:24:46 am »
Steve, try shooting that point into a rock to see if it splits the shaft.
 A sinew wrap shouldn't reduce penetration, especially with that big point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline steve b.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:04:14 am »
Yea, I haven't messed with these points for a year now and after I got to thinking about them I remember that the hardwood insert thing wasn't feasible and that I had abandoned them and the sinew in favor of the brass pin.
I can see that a low profile sinew wrap, behind the point (and not around the tang?), would be stronger, especially with these fir shafts.
I don't doubt that shooting this setup into a brick wall would be devestating.  I should have said that the OS shafts can be shot into rocks and such, with field points, and they do not break like the fir shafts do, behind the point.
So between moving to OS and using the pin, and the sinew wrap, it should be as good as it can.....?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 01:44:41 pm »
You're going to hunt Elk with a 45# bow?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline steve b.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 12:36:23 am »
obviously

Offline kid bow

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 11:10:34 am »
Well hell if you're feeling generous throw ome of those my way. >:D ::)
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.