Author Topic: My first selfbow*update*/question for yew  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: My first selfbow
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 10:35:41 pm »
Good job!
really  like the  string too!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Oakenshield

Re: My first selfbow*update*/question for yew
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 10:57:24 pm »
Those pics I promised.
College Student, Fly Fisherman, New Bowyer, and proud Army Veteran.

A-Troop, 1/75 Cavalry, 2nd Brigade, 101 Airbourne

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 03:38:17 am »
Fantastic arrows!  :)
What are the shafts and tips made of?
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Oakenshield

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 11:05:01 am »
Thanks sieddy! They are switch cane arrows with dogwood field points. I added another paragraph to the beginning of this post I'll move it here too to save confusion.

So just in case anyone was curious she's still alive and shooting. I put a few hundred arrows through it and I like it so far. I got a cheap luggage scale from wallyworld and its pulling 45# @28", give or take a pound. I'm pretty new to prim/trad archery and I was unaware how much set you can induce from holding draw for too long, so I'm blaming the 3.5 in of set on that. the fact the the wood was only a few months cured might have had an impact. I'll post some pics of my first primitive river cane arrows and dogwood field points in a new reply, it won't let me in add them to this one.

P.S. Ive acquired a stave of pacific yew and was wondering how Thick I should leave the sapwood. I'm going to do my best to follow a growth ring, but in the case that I do violate it, what is a good sapwood thickness to keep it from popin in my face. Thanks ahead uh time guys, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I get a chance to meet some of you
College Student, Fly Fisherman, New Bowyer, and proud Army Veteran.

A-Troop, 1/75 Cavalry, 2nd Brigade, 101 Airbourne