Author Topic: Flipping Tips  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Bluegoose

Flipping Tips
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »
Could someone give me a quick run down on flipping tips or direct me to a good explanation. It is mentioned quite a bit in threads and I sort of get it from viewing the results, but I'd like to understand it better, particularly how it differs from a recurve or static recurve of the limbs. Thanks!

Offline PatM

Re: Flipping Tips
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:53:03 pm »
It's just a minimal recurve.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:59:37 pm »
A flipped tip is basically just less curve than what you think of as a recurve. The tips are bent forward using whatever your preferred method of bending is, whether it be dry heat, or steam, or laminated in. I prefer steam bending. Static recurve, simply means the curves are not bending at all. Some recurves have a little bend to them in the curve. That's my take on it. I'm sure some others will chime in. There's plenty of build a longs in the how to section, do a search there and you'll see some examples of various ways to do it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 07:20:38 pm »
It's just a reflexed tip you can flip it quite a bit or just a little, generally if the string is still touching the curve at brace it's considered a recurve
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 02:48:26 am »
And the reason to do it is that string angle will be lower than a straight tipped bow therefore you have more 'leverage' and are bending a thicker piece of wood for the same weight on your finger eg. storing more energy. So as your angle gets greater then you store more energy (all things being equal). Also the more contact the string has with the limb the more the bow 'lengthens' during the draw again storing more energy. The trade off is that the tips have to be heavier than a straight tip can be.