Author Topic: Is this fatal to a sinew backed bow?  (Read 4551 times)

Offline jeffp51

Is this fatal to a sinew backed bow?
« on: April 18, 2015, 11:17:27 pm »
Will this crack doom this sinew backed juniper bow?  The crack only goes the pin knot just below the surface, which should stop it from going further.  The know is maybe 1/32" below the surface.  I filled it with thin CA glue, and I have drawn it a few times.  My gut says it will be okay,  but it scares me a little.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is this fatal to a sinew backed bow?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 11:42:15 pm »
Its hard to say but I'd do as you did by adding super glue to the knot and proceed with the sinewing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:47:46 pm »
the back is already sinewed with 3 layers.  Tiller is mostly where I want it, drawing 29" for 60"  I was working on the  finish when this appeared.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:50:51 pm »
Keep watching the know. If the crack continues I'd put a sinew wrap around the limb over the knot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 12:16:25 am »
Pat thanks for the advice.  I am always impressed at how you are patient and willing to help out the beginners.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 02:33:03 am »
It looks like it will get worse over time to me. Personally I wouldn't expect much from it then I wouldn't be too disappointed when it goes.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 11:18:16 am »
Yep....that's just going to keep getting worse.  I would rasp out the entire knot and patch it. The reason its doing that is that the grain of the knot is running perpendicular to the grain of the bow.  Wood resists pressure differently when its applied from different angles in relation to the grain.  Knots across the belly are usually trouble because wood is not as resistant to crushing when the pressure is perpendicular to the grain as it is when the pressure is applied with the grain.  With the the grain resistance is called compression strength.  Across the grain is called crushing strength.  So if you decide to patch it, make sure the grain of the patch runs true with the grain of the bow.  Otherwise it will just crush out again.  Josh

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 11:56:11 am »
  I would guess you have a corresponding lump on the back side of the bow. I doubt it is really doing much there. If I did anything at all I would lightly rasp out the cracked area and possibly not do anything else. Just pull it back slowly excersizing and check it for hinges. I think it is just non flexable knot cracking.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 12:23:47 pm »
I think it is a good chance nobody really knows what it will do,, I  like  to think on the positive,, it is worth a try for sure,, I would leave that area a little stiffer,, ,and sinew wrap it as suggested,, I agree with Badgers observations as well, if you sinew wrap it ,, it well make that area a bit stiffer,, and a sinew wrap sure wont hurt anything,, I think it will make a bow,,  :) 

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 01:02:42 pm »
   With the the grain resistance is called compression strength.  Across the grain is called crushing strength.   
They are both  the same thing but just different grain configurations.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 01:53:54 pm »
They are not the same thing due specifically to the different grain configurations.  That was the point.  Wood is much stronger in compression strength than it is in crushing strength.  As evidenced in this case where the crack runs along the belly where the knot compromised the the structural integrity of the wood.  If that section is not doing much, then why do you suppose it cracked?  Rasping out the crack will only make a weak spot weaker.  Half the width of the belly is already compromised.  It's only a matter of time before the other half chrysals and fails. 
As far as the sinew wrap goes, it certainly won't hurt anything.  Of course it won't help either, except to help contain the pieces.  A sinew wrap doesn't do anything to stiffen a weak spot, it only hides the crack.  It would be as helpful structurally speaking as an ace bandage on a broken arm.  Good luck with your bow Jeff.  That juniper sure is pretty.  Josh

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 02:30:17 pm »
sinew can stiffen a whole bow,,, so it definitely has some effect when applied to any part of the bow,, whether it can help this bow or not remains to be seen,, what effect a sinew wrap would have,, would definitely depend on the thickness,, the sinew becomes the back of the bow at that point,, and does strengthen the back,, and so would stiffen that part of the bow,,allowing it to work less,, so it is more than an ace bandage,, or there would be ace bandaged backed bows,, :) 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 03:42:38 pm »
sinew can stiffen a whole bow,,, so it definitely has some effect when applied to any part of the bow,, whether it can help this bow or not remains to be seen,, what effect a sinew wrap would have,, would definitely depend on the thickness,, the sinew becomes the back of the bow at that point,, and does strengthen the back,, and so would stiffen that part of the bow,,allowing it to work less,, so it is more than an ace bandage,, or there would be ace bandaged backed bows,, :)

Yes, sinew backing will stiffen a bow.  Of course a sinew backing has the fibers running the length of the bow parallel to the grain.  A sinew wrap is just wrapped around the limb which offers no stiffening properties to the bow.  I hope that I don't have to explain further.  Josh

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 04:43:28 pm »
They are not the same thing due specifically to the different grain configurations.  That was the point.  Wood is much stronger in compression strength than it is in crushing strength.
I mean that you have decided  that different grain configurations warrant different definitions of what is happening to them. They don't.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 05:23:35 pm »
I would heat flow some thin super glue in it, lightly sand and wrap with sinew. I think it would be alright. I'm dealing with one right now and I'm just gonna wrap it with sinew to be on the safe side.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?