Author Topic: First bow  (Read 6932 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: First bow
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 02:31:45 pm »
I'd keep bending the outers, keep set out of the fade area ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »
Hard to tell but it looks like a weak spot about 6" in from the left tip, I would get just out from the left faded bending little more as well. The right limb looks really good to me.

Offline Glerian

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 03:11:26 pm »
Ok, I finished it a while ago but have been reluctant to post it here since it did not come out as well as it could have. I have no one else to blame but me, unfortunately. On the plus side I did get another piece of red oak with the straightest grain I have ever seen so I will be working on that now. Thanks for all your help guys!
"I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

Offline Glerian

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 03:17:20 pm »
Oops I messed up when I was resizing, here it is unstrung.
"I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 06:14:32 pm »
Having stepped onto the road less travelled, you have already gone far and away from the flocks of fools that fail to even try.  In that, you have already exceeded all but the fewest of expectations. 

As for your bow, not bad.  I'd shoot it and strut like a peacock, saying it was mine all mine neener neener, so there!

Spend some time shooting it and getting to know how the instinctive shooter operates as you search out the NEXT piece of wood to abuse, misuse, and beat into submission.  You are now, officially, a bowyer.  Welcome to the club.   

Oh, and a bow is not a club. Do not use it as such.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 06:28:27 pm »
Right limb mid is flat.See that bulge at your right inner limb out of the fade.it's better to follow Tim bakers mantra.goggle it,good luck
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 06:39:56 pm »
Sorry didn't notice the second page. I'm guessing the right limb has taken some set in the inner limb?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Glerian

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 06:47:06 pm »
@JW_Halverson Thank you!

@Bushboy Yeah, a considerable amount.