Author Topic: Knapping kit  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Kegan

Knapping kit
« on: February 02, 2008, 03:49:35 pm »
Okay, so a feew weeks ago my brother and I purchased a small knapping kit from 3Rivers- figured the well made tools would help our knapping. One problem- I'm doing worse than before! I then decided the try the two side by side. Modern aluminum billet, copper flaker, and abrader... or chunk of anything-but-round sandstone and an old nail. The latter worked better for me by ten fold :o. Now, I'm still a complete novice, so could this because I'm doing somehing wrong?

wvfknapper

Re: Knapping kit
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 04:42:24 pm »
Kegan

Everyone adapts to their own style and tools, I started using abo tools and beat my leg blue and my elbows stayed sore doing percussion using moose billets and antler flakers,  I then switched to copper tools and it was like going from a chevette to a mustang, my skill accelerated very fast and my learning curve got straighter... I think it's more of a personal thing , you know different strokes for different folks.

The main thing is that your percussion tool bites into the stone you are beating on, using hard percussion tools will cause fractures, not flakes.........The same with pressure flakers, you need something that will bite into the stone so you can build force and remove the flake,, A nail will work and will work even better if you heat the nail and let it cool slowly, makes it even softer, aluminum gutter nails work good also.

You need also to have good hand eye contact, and set yourself a technique, the way you swing your billet needs to be consistent, keep your platforms below center (main thing in knapping) learn to knap on your leg first then learn to knap freehand,,, Knapping on the leg I like to swing my billet in an arch, and with freehand it's almost straight down, no arch.

Have yall ever seen anyone knap? I have a couple videos and will send you one to watch if ya want, just send it back when you get done.

wvflintknapper

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 04:48:10 pm »
if you try glass be careful . ;)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 09:35:35 pm »
David:  Are you sidelined?

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 01:45:53 pm »
Yep i wont be able to knap for a very long time
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 02:54:31 pm »
I tried to knap again, but being sick and it being so cold, I'm going to have to wait til the weather breaks to get back to it.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 08:14:22 pm »
Kegan, I could never knap worth a crap with copper billets/boppers myself. I just don't like the feel of copper, and I get loads of hinges and steps with it. Everybody else seems to love knapping with copper, but I'll hang on to my antler billets until they put me in the ground, I guess. I do like copper pressure flakers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:26:52 pm »
Like Hillbilly said. I also likes heavy wood for percussion........bob

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 04:31:32 pm »
i do it all just with a hammerstone and an antler tine flaker. never even tried copper, i lik ethe idea of using what i would most likely have in a primitive circumstance.  i'd trade to coppertools to someone for some extra stones and tines- Ryan ;)
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 07:26:01 pm »
Thanks guys, helps to know I'm not off to the wrong start :)