Author Topic: First Stave Bow (Mulberry)- A build along (6/2/16 update)  (Read 7629 times)

Offline arachnid

First Stave Bow (Mulberry)- A build along (6/2/16 update)
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »
A half a year passed since I cut My first stave and now is the time to turn that sucker into a bow!
since it`s the first stave I`m working, I don`t want to screw it up. I have big hopes to have a new bow to shoot.
I want to make this build along so I can hear from the pros and end up with a shooter rather then fire wood. I`ll indicate that
I don`t have a full length stave but 2 twin billets, so I`ll have to splice them together (a first time as well).
So, let`s get started....

First up- Chasing a ring.
I`m about done chasing a ring on the first billet. I only left the "islands" around the knots.

I got the hang of ring chasing but still don`t quite understand how to work the knots.
I`ve watched several videos on that topic but I feel it`s still unclear to me. I don`t want to make a mistake and cut through the knots. So, any clarification would be most welcome. If anyone can post pictures, it`ll be great.

Here are a few more pictures of the knots up close:

Oh, BTW..... I don`t have a drawknife so I made this improvised so called "drawknife" from a file..... works pretty good for now...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:30:49 am by arachnid »

owlbait

Re: First Stave Bow (Mulberry)- A build along
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 04:43:57 pm »
I have a mulberry stave also so I will be following this closely. Good luck.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:36:42 pm »
Main thing with knots is take it slow. Use your draw knife or a pocket knife blade held 90 degrees as a scaper. Work the knot for all angles. I don't have any pictures. If you look up clay Hayes on you tube he has a video about chasing a ring. It's pretty helpful on knots if I remember correctly. Happy bow making!
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 11:49:39 pm »
Main thing with knots is take it slow. Use your draw knife or a pocket knife blade held 90 degrees as a scaper. Work the knot for all angles. I don't have any pictures. If you look up clay Hayes on you tube he has a video about chasing a ring. It's pretty helpful on knots if I remember correctly. Happy bow making!

I've watched his video plenty of times but he doesn't show how to finish the knot.
So, if I undestand currectly I remove the wood around the knot Only? What Do I do withe the top? Ther's a little dot on top of every knot that is shown even through the sap wood. Can I remove it until I get to the ring I'm chasing?

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 05:05:07 am »
Removing wood from the knot to the growth ring your are chasing is what I have done. Looks like you have a high crown on that stave. Small diameter trees and spliced billets are not something I have seen done as far as I know. Do you have a pic of the side profile of the stave? I like your improvised drawknife.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 06:24:31 am »
There you go....

How high is too high for a crowned back?

Offline Chief RID

Re: First Stave Bow (Mulberry)- A build along (Any Help Is Welcome)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 06:41:41 am »
I don't know how much is too much. I am working a high crowned sassafras stave myself. Half Eye works a lot of crowned bows, many from branches, that pull hunting weights but he is amazing in his craftsmanship. I think we are on shaky ground. Just keep it as wide as you can. At least you have a wood with a better reputation than mine. I'll be watching, especially the splicing. Sorry I am not more help but I am very new to this with only one bow to my credit. It was made many years ago. It was from elm and it lifts splinters on the edges due to grain violation. I will be watching your progress.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 07:51:08 am »
Leave knots a little wider. Let the wood around the knots swirl. Tiller the knot to appear slightly flatter than the rest of the limb.

I am not sure 6 months of seasoning would make that stave dry.

Looks like a very challenging stave. It ha s quite a few knots and a crown. I would leave it at least 2 inches longer.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline arachnid

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 08:38:49 am »
Thanks a lot George.
I might leave it to season a few more weeks after I rough it out.
I am up for a challeng.... and the stave cost me nothing so nothing to lose.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 09:14:53 am »
I decided to take the leap of faith and work a knot.
This is what I`ve done- I used a round scraper and sand paper to clean up around the knot. I carfully removed the
sapwood left on top of the knot and scraped it gently and slowly, mainly around.
This is what I ended up with:

It seems like it still have a tiny bit of the upper layer of wood on and around the knot. I`ve read in TBB1 that I can leave a bit of wood on and around the knot.
From what it looks like, can I call this knot done? If so... Yeepee.... on to the next!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 10:35:45 am »
Looks good!  Sandpaper should clean it up nicely.  You have a bit of crown there, but not to excess.  As Jawge said, be sure to follow the grain around the outside of the knots and leave a little extra length and I would say that your well on your way.  Josh 

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 10:54:47 am »
Check out the post on this page about  knots and then take a look at my post of a knotty Osage stave I'm working on. The info I was given is that ring you are trying to chase follows the contours of the knots so just follow the ring. Hope this helps, Patrick
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50668.195.html
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 10:56:39 am »
Check out the post on this page about  knots and then take a look at my post of a knotty Osage stave I'm working on. The info I was given is that ring you are trying to chase follows the contours of the knots so just follow the ring. Hope this helps, Patrick

Also the curved edge of my pocket knife was my favorite tool for the knots in my post. Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline arachnid

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 11:43:15 am »

Also the curved edge of my pocket knife was my favorite tool for the knots in my post. Patrick

I have a spreading knife with a round edge I turned into a scraper.
As a general question, if the worst happens and I cut through a knot, can I back the bow with rawhid a keep going or it`s a gone`r?

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 01:14:52 pm »
That is true, you could back it with rawhide if you cut through the ring. But I would suggest chasing another ring instead. I guess since your chasing a ring, you are trying to build a unbacked self bow?  By the way could you post a picture of the end of your stave so we could see the Rings?Patrick