Author Topic: No osage for a year  (Read 10065 times)

Offline osage outlaw

No osage for a year
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:51:33 pm »
I've been talking about this for a while and I think I'm finally ready to do it.  I'm going to try and go a year without using osage to make a bow  :o  I've traded and been given a fair amount of other wood types.  I went through them tonight and randomly listed them.  I had Bubby pick a number and he chose Vine Maple. I'm going to look it over tomorrow and see if I can figure out what kind of bow is hiding in it.

I seem to always grab a piece of osage when I start a new bow.  I would like to experiment with other types and I think this is the best way to do it.  I'm hoping to learn and become a better bowyer during the next 12 months. 

I got an osage bow shooting at the Classic.  I'm going to lighten in and finish it up for my niece.  After that I'm going cold turkey  :'(
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

Re: No osage for a year
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:51:58 pm »
Any advice on Vine Maple would be appreciated

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:42:37 am »
Let me know when you get to HHB, with vine maple your guess is as good as mine.

I'm working with my first piece of mountain ash. It tools more like cedar or yew than ash. Easy on the arms anyway. Hopefully it performs like yew.

I love trying new wood types. It's how to determine ones favorites. Good Luck.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:44:04 am »
I've used HHB several times before and really like it.  So far its #2 on my favorite list.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:56:58 am »
I have a couple yew bows in the works. I actually found some wild trees this year. In my area that's pretty rare. It's the Canadian species, but it's just as good from what I've read. I certainly like the two tone look so far, and it heat bends like butter. It feels so light compared to everything else I've used, makes me a little nervous. 
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 12:58:11 am »
I'm in PA by the way, not the Dakotas(not anymore :()
~Terrance McKenna

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:03:01 am »
Good luck with that Clint...   I don't know if there is a twelve step program for this or not, but I would need one. :D  Maybe that pecan will soften the blow.  No osage for a year?  I think that could do permanent damage to you brother!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:57:21 am »
That sounds like a brave and selfless act you are undertaking for the betterment of Bowyery- best of lucK! :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 06:47:58 am »
Better be careful, you may find yourself liking all that other stuff. Its damn nice not ripping bark and 1/2" thick sapwood off osage. Not to mention when you run your tools over the other woods, wood actually is removed!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 06:50:05 am »
No yellow dust for a year? This will be interesting. I can't help you with those western woods, but I'd like to see a bow from that pecan. If you get withdrawals just pull out a mulberry or black locust stave until urge subsides ;D Good luck and can't wait to see what you make Clint .

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 07:58:58 am »
Howard, I'm going to let that pecan season for a while before I work it.  When was it cut again?  I'll write it on the staves.

Sieddy, thanks.

Pearly, I'll still be ripping plenty of bark and sapwood  ;)

Tracy, Black locust is on my list but the mulberry will need to season for a while

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 08:01:32 am »
Bout time ya do this....it will make you a better bowyer,n when ya come back to the osage(if ya ever do..haha) you'll make a better osage bow, and come to appreciate it more. My only advice is to make sure you get the tiller as close to nuts as possible BEFORE ya even brace it. The other woods aren't as tolerant to tillering mistakes,and even the small mistakes can make the difference between a spongey limbed poor cast bow and a fast snappy limbed bow.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 08:02:23 am »
Trying different woods is part of the fun in bow making I think. I was given a pecan stave from Howard at the classic, something I haven't used before so I'm anxious to tear into it. You will probably enjoy working with the variety of woods and different bow designs for each Clint, should be a fun year for ya buddy.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 08:09:02 am »
That pecan was cut April 21.  It is very green.  I would rough one of them out and throw it in a hot box.  Seasoned wood is a premium thing with osage, but I don't think it matters much with white woods like pecan.  Some folks may feel differently about that, but I haven't noticed that it makes much difference, as long as you get the moisture content down.  I can't wait to see what you make out of them.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 08:48:12 am »
  I like to mix it up, in the last few weeks I have made a red oak, a pecan, a hickory backed mystery wood, and 1 osage. I think Chris said it very well even though I never thought about it like that. You won't make it a year I guarantee. Not if you have osage sitting around.