Author Topic: Discussion: What Is The Best Quiver?  (Read 7194 times)

Offline JeremiahVires

Discussion: What Is The Best Quiver?
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:10:35 pm »
Long how have I (as well as many of you) pondered on the many topics of archery.  "How do I make the fastest bow", "How do I make the best arrow?"  And such related things.  Today we ask another.

Tactically, what is the fastest quiver?  What will allow a person to most quickly retrieve an arrow?  I'm not talking about looks, capacity or if we're used to it.  I personally say keeping them in your hand! Personally, I have found keeping 6 arrows in your shooting hand can allow you to shoot faster than shooting from a quiver.  I got the idea from a video I saw
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Using his method, I have increased my shooting speed by about 50%, and I used to use a belt quiver

But this goes without saying, this is EXTREMELY difficult.  I accidentally severed my bowstring the first day i practiced this.  And this is also an unsafe method.  If you fall, you can easily become severely injured.

What are your opinions?
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Discussion: What Is The Best Quiver?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:38:31 pm »
For speed shooting, you may well be right. I hunt, that's it. So 2-3 arrows in a back or side quiver is all I need. I get one shot and one shot only.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:43:48 pm »
I've never tried or had a need for speed shooting. I do sometimes have one arrow on the bow and one in my bow hand while hunting but not often. Holding arrows the way you described is probably the fastest. That is how horse archer do it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 01:50:43 pm »
For speed shooting, you may well be right. I hunt, that's it. So 2-3 arrows in a back or side quiver is all I need. I get one shot and one shot only.
+1

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 07:29:57 pm »
I shoot bows mostly for sportsmanship.  Increasing my skill with a bow is infinitely entertaining.  The tighter spaces I can hit, the better.  So I'll often bring 10 arrows with me while I'm out in the woods shooting stuff.  I usually don't shoot to kill things (unless I'm hunting), but I often just go into the woods to shoot at stumps. 

But man does it kill my arrow supply!   :laugh:

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 05:12:40 am »
Wrong thread, first time posting and the verification got me all screwed up. This was meant for the thread about how far to shoot from.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:20:32 am »
Try again, ptaylor. I bet you'll get it right next time.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 06:02:39 pm »
  I accidentally severed my bowstring the first day i practiced this.  And this is also an unsafe method.  If you fall, you can easily become severely injured.

Wait, the first day you practiced a new speed shooting technique you did it with broadheads!?  ???  ::)  :-X

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 01:46:25 pm »
Yeah, it's all I had.  I keep a small storage of about 30 broadheads, and I had broken my last target arrow.  So I figured "screw it, lets go shoot some stumps".  I sharpen my broadheads to a shaving edge. 

Was likely one of the most unintelligent things I've done in shooting.  Luckily, I had a huge supply of hemp cordage and wax!  :D

Offline punch

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 03:56:21 pm »
I messed around with a little speed shooting.  A back quiver is the fastest quiver, but a side quiver can be fast also.  The fastest way is to position them in your hand.  I can't hold them in my shooting hand and shoot at the same time.  I kept dropping them.  I can however hold 3-4 in my bow hand and shoot fast.  I position them between each of my fingers with the feathers to the left then you just have to pull them to the right to string them. I noticed however that the really fast speed shooters don't shoot heavy bows and also don't come to a full draw.  So most of them are just a show with no real application.  There are a few that come to full draw with a heavey bow but are much slower.  One of these mentioned that in Turkey in war a archer was expected to be able to shoot 3 arrows with all three in the air before the first one hit the ground.