Author Topic: Turkey Camp....now with IOW(ABO)W'S HUMILIATING COPPER TURKEY CALL  (Read 16219 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Turkey Camp....now with graphic details of an amazing stalk!
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 09:21:46 pm »
I will readily admit that there was a difference in opinion as to exactly which GPS navigation system was correct.  There was literally no sun, moor, or stars to go by and I was all for heading in the direction I was sure was south (which it was).  Iowaboy wanted to go North and pointed in that direction (which it was). Eventually, I agreed to follow his lead.  After all, I had busted my butt chasing a real flock of turkeys while he was wandering around in a mud bog looking (so he claims) for something knappable (what? Like a goose turd? Yeah, I guess that's pretty abo.)

Had I followed my ridge, I would have ended up hitting the gravel road east of camp, instead, we found the logging trail and followed that to the gravel road north of camp. 

As for Coney, the wild pine cone I found and nursed back to health, and then released back into the wild successfully....let's just say the chance to look into his eyes and see the gratitude was sufficient for me.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2015, 05:21:24 am »
Now it has gone from hysterically funny to scary. Thanks guys for the lift this morning. What am I saying?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2015, 05:34:54 am »
Too funny Guys ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2015, 11:15:37 am »
In all seriousness, folks, this was the highlight of my year since I was not able to go to the Tennessee Classic.  Instead, I invited a little of that Classic atmosphere to the Black Hills.

You can pull off an event like this, too.  A little planning and a lot of good intentions can make it happen.  Aim for something like 4-5 people for the first time and it's pretty easy.  Maybe break the ice with a weekend burger burn and bow bust!  Make shavings and memories, then start inviting friends that have expressed interest in making a bow.  Let's become evangelists and win the hearts and minds of people everywhere.  Seriously, if more people treated each other like we do on this forum, we might be able to move forward!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2015, 12:43:58 pm »
Jw my best memory was the turkey hunt on the second day on a morning hunt. This hunt started the night before when we were jeep scouting areas and listening for gobbles from the side of the road. After trying a couple places we rolled down a hill with a large bowl in it to the right. We got out of the car and stood together getting ready to call when directly in front of me at 50 yards was a flock of turkeys making there way up the hill and into the bowl. I grabbed jw by the collar and yanked him to the ground. He looked at me with that I am lost in the woods and confused look (foreshadowing a future trip) I whispered to him the location and number of turkeys in the group. Anyway we put those birds to sleep and returned the next morning. Running a little behind in the morning as we located a dropped into position on the knob of a hill. By the time we started calling  it sounded like the birds were on the way away from us so we got up and took a couple steps only to have birds coming in on us. I dropped to a knee and jw stood motionless and slowly moved his hands behind him to call with the box call. In came a young Tom and a hen. With lots of brush I had cover to start drawing my bow. I pulled back found my anchor but the bird keep moving from one opening to another without stopping maybe 7 seconds went by without having and clear shot. Finally he stopped at 20 yards in a 5 inch opening that I shot right through. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2015, 01:15:11 pm »
💘I LOVE COPPER 💘

And Decoys

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2015, 01:15:56 pm »
Jw my best memory was the turkey hunt on the second day on a morning hunt. This hunt started the night before when we were jeep scouting areas and listening for gobbles from the side of the road. After trying a couple places we rolled down a hill with a large bowl in it to the right. We got out of the car and stood together getting ready to call when directly in front of me at 50 yards was a flock of turkeys making there way up the hill and into the bowl. I grabbed jw by the collar and yanked him to the ground. He looked at me with that I am lost in the woods and confused look (foreshadowing a future trip) I whispered to him the location and number of turkeys in the group. Anyway we put those birds to sleep and returned the next morning. Running a little behind in the morning as we located a dropped into position on the knob of a hill. By the time we started calling  it sounded like the birds were on the way away from us so we got up and took a couple steps only to have birds coming in on us. I dropped to a knee and jw stood motionless and slowly moved his hands behind him to call with the box call. In came a young Tom and a hen. With lots of brush I had cover to start drawing my bow. I pulled back found my anchor but the bird keep moving from one opening to another without stopping maybe 7 seconds went by without having and clear shot. Finally he stopped at 20 yards in a 5 inch opening that I shot right through.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that those 9 turkeys only 50 yards away, with no obstructing woods or terrain, didn't see us drive up in a blue 4 wd Jeep, see us get out and slam the doors, stand there in the ditch taking a leak!  No, they were thoroughly oblivious to us, which is why Mr Iowaboy was thinking clearly and violated my personal space, dislocating several cervical vertebrae by doing a reverse hangman's chokehold and throwing me to the ground on the wet spot we had created!    >:(

Note how he talks about how difficult the shot was.  Notice how he doesn't even mention they were 40 yards away and at a dead run?  Notice how he does not give you any indication of the results of this Hail Mary play???

Let it be known, far and wide, across the land and across the seas, where so ever this may be read, down thru the ages and yea, even unto the 7th generation....Mr. Iowaboy was the only person in this seven man camp to MISS A FREAKING TURKEY!!!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2015, 01:39:06 pm »
I believe mr iowacopper is part mountain goat...following him up shear cliffs over bolders the size of houses,through cuts and valley's that would require a full arsenal of climbing gear for the average man was no obstacle for him...me on the other hand found myself with boath my arms doing the pinwheel as I was sliding downhill towards certain death off a thousand foot cliff when out of nowhere copper man stiff arms me in the chest knocking me to the ground where he promptly pinned me in place....

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2015, 02:36:49 pm »
Sounds like a blast. I need to put that on the list as well.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2015, 02:56:55 pm »
I believe mr iowacopper is part mountain goat...following him up shear cliffs over bolders the size of houses,through cuts and valley's that would require a full arsenal of climbing gear for the average man was no obstacle for him...me on the other hand found myself with boath my arms doing the pinwheel as I was sliding downhill towards certain death off a thousand foot cliff when out of nowhere copper man stiff arms me in the chest knocking me to the ground where he promptly pinned me in place....

How much did he pay you to concoct that story.  Back in camp, the way I heard it, you stubbed your toe and HE fell down!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2015, 07:47:34 pm »
Ok so everyone doesn't  know about the copper thing yet but I will tell this story in due time. For now all will have to wait for me to take pictures to help explain all this ccccccopper cursing and defiling of my name.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2015, 07:54:08 pm »
quoting mrs. Iowabow sometimes the tallest tales are the truth Mr. JW. And yes I'm a big Hero.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2015, 08:00:22 pm »
Soy was quite the trekker he was a good KID.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 12:36:28 pm »
J dub got the 411 on a good spot to hunt from a little pair of hooters

They were right!!! We were surrounded by gobblers...none of which were willing to hang out but what a morning in the snow listening to no less than a dozen sounding off!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2015, 12:40:13 pm »
Those "stool pigeons" are eastern screech owls and resident educators at the Black Hills Raptor Center.  One common grey phase showing off her natural camo next to the bark, and the other is a less common red phase screech owl.  The grey phase is colored much like a timber wolf with grey, black, brown, tan, and white all grizzled together.  Consequently, she was named Big Bad Wolf.  the red phase naturally had to be named Little Red Riding Hoot.